The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Scoring

Two Dot

Yep, simplest scoring with stage points would be, as Griff suggested, "don't stage-point-score each category separately."

Just run the stage points calculation, ignoring whatever category the shooter is in.  Everybody shoots against the fastest shooter (regardless of category) on each stage, and gets points based on that.  Add together each shooter's stage points, and you have total points, and sort that to have the overall ranking (positions). 

Then do the grouping of shooters into their category, carrying those overall positions along, and you get enough information to assign the finish positions within category, and they are guaranteed to reflect the SAME order as their overall finishes would tell you.  No "third place in some category" becoming the overall match winner.

Seems pretty simple.

But, still not as simple as just total time.  ;)

But, it would keep slightly more "suspense" than TT, as you have to wait till the last shooter finishes to see who was going to be the fastest on each stage, to let the fastest pard provide the scoring basis for all the other shooters on each stage. 

• 2 months later...

I prefer Total time.  After all that is what everyone compares rank or stage to when they see them posted.  Additionally, it seems inconsistent to say - "well the other shooting sports don't use total time" and then talk about SDQ's which they don't use either.  If we are going to have SDQ's then total time works just fine.  Review some of the scores from a variety of matches as I have and see what happens if someone gets an SDQ and yet shoots a perfect match otherwise,  typically they will still place but not first - usually around 7th.  Which to my mind seems perfect.  Not the total loss of a match like an MDQ but not top five either.

Additionally.  I absolutely hate when my score is somehow affected by what others do in a match.  That's never a problem with total time.  Stage scoring is like grading on the curve - When teachers do that it's because they don't know if their test is "fair".

• 4 weeks later...

Grouchy,

It is done.

According to the 2018 WBAS Shooters Handbook which is effective January 1, 2018 on page 17:

SCORING AND TIMING

Wild BunchTM Action Shooting matches are scored based upon elapsed shooting time and added penalty points for missed targets. Each stage is scored individually and the total combined score for all stages fired is used to determine place of finish. For monthly and annual club and state matches two scoring approaches are recognized: total time and Stage Points. Wild Bunch Action Shooting Regional, Territorial, National, and World Championship matches MUST be scored using Stage Points.

All matches regional and above are stage points and below are stage points or total time. That's the rules for the next year.

JFN

Hey JFN, it's a done deal for sure. I can agree that Stage Point System is better than Rank Point System, to a point or maybe after a point.

I think that Griff's idea is top shelf:  "Overall scores are sorted based off the fastest time of ANY shooter on that stage.  Category placements are simply pulled from that overall sort."

I'm calibrated for time and penalties.  The presentation of the stage Point scores removes that benchmark.

Stage Point System for me is akin to buying a box of Sugar Cookies (the Match) and upon opening the box (the score sheet), I find that the cookies have no sugar (time and penalties). 

Perhaps the solution for me is to bring my own sugar and dust the cookies, 'cause I do prefer to slide instead of revolve when I shoot!

There is NO reason I know of that, when folks developed the Stage Point Scoring reports in a couple of the software scoring programs, they left out the raw time, misses and penalty data.  They made a BAD mistake when they did, because it becomes hard for a shooter to track strengths, weaknesses and possible ways to improve.  It also becomes impossible for shooters after the fact to verify that results were correctly entered and tabulated.    :-[

Yes, the extra data takes more space.  That could have been provided by adding another row to the stage point score line for each competitor. 

Those details really are important - perhaps more so than powdered sugar on sugar cookies!

Good luck, GJ