The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Shotgun barrel length?

Is there a preferred or at least more useful barrel length with a shot guns used in Wild Bunch? I have a Model 12 with modified choke and currently a 28-inch barrel I'd like to cut down to something a touch more maneuverable. It's a plenty good shotgun so it might see uses a home defense gun as well. At least in theory. What do you guys like to run for barrel lengths on your 97s and Model 12s?

Of my six M 12s 4 have the longer barrel. I have not found them any less viable than the two with shorter barrels. I would shoot it and not worry about cutting it. Try it -- you might like it. In fact, sometimes the long barrel guns are an advantage -- say with a flying claybird f'rinstance YMMV

I have two. One cut to 19.75" and one to 20.25". Both shoot equally well. I prefer the 20.25" because when you take it apart the keepers on the end of the mag tube don't slide off the end of the barrel.

We do a lot of shoot and move sequences, those with long barrels tend to hang the muzzle on window and door frames. I've seen them break the 170 that way. So I wouldn't compete without a cut shotgun. (Sorry Lone Dog)

JFN

Lone dog! What are you saying? Do you think there could be a chance of a flying bird at the state match?  ;D Dusty B

I'd say BIG CHANCE of a flying bird from a trap machine, and Goatneck like to launch'em at Mach2.

After shooting SGs with 18 1/2, 20, and 23" barrels, the 23" is my preference.  Except at Goatnecks birds, then it's 30".

GS

We only launch the birds at Mach 1.....Actually that is standard speed for a Sporting Clay Target.  Capt Sam & I use the 26" barrel length on our Mod 12's.  they swing and handle really good.  They also work on Wild Bunch Clays real nice also.

Goatneck