The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Range Brass

JJ

Hello All

A few days ago I was given a large quantity of grungy 45 acp range brass. After running it through the wet media tumbler to make it nice and pretty I noticed a 'bunch' of the brass had the primer flash hole drilled out to something like 1/8".

Does anybody have any idea what the purpose of this is ??

I have reloaded quite a bit of once fired 45acp and never encountered this before.

thanks for anyone's answer.

Thank you very much for your replies guys.

When I saw those big holes in the brass, I had absolutely no idea why that would have been accomplished. Never gave the wax bullets idea a thought.

Also my first thought was to toss them in the scrap brass box and that is where all of them now reside. I was just inquisitive as to other ideas as to why someone would go through the trouble of drilling a large hole in the bottom of the 45acp brass.

• 3 weeks later...
If the primer holes have been drilled out, do not use them for regular loads.  I have some 44 mag. brass that I use with rubber bullets, the manufacturer recommended to drill out the primer pockets, and not to use them again for regular 44 loading.  If you don't drill out the primer holes, since there is no recoil, the regular sized primer holes, when fired the primer will back out and jam up the gun.  Don't known what would happen to a 1911, fired with rubber bullets.

If the primer holes have been drilled out, do not use them for regular loads.  I have some 44 mag. brass that I use with rubber bullets, the manufacturer recommended to drill out the primer pockets, and not to use them again for regular 44 loading.  If you don't drill out the primer holes, since there is no recoil, the regular sized primer holes, when fired the primer will back out and jam up the gun.  Don't known what would happen to a 1911, fired with rubber bullets.

Has nothing to do with recoil. It's the pressure that reseats the primer. The rubber bullets don't build enough pressure.