The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

I'm thinking about some new toys

This is my third year of shooting WB and I'm contemplating some new toys after this last match. My SR1911 is starting to lose accuracy and I'm thinking about sending it off for a new barrel or just getting a whole new gun. I'm also thinking about a 73 in 45acp. I love my Marlin but it's getting old losing half of my Colt brass. Both of my model 12's that have never had an ounce of a problem started to jam on me and chucking the live round out. I had to switch to a 97 that has given me problems in the past. The 97 ran great on the last two stages.

So I'm thinking Chuck Warner over at Elite Warrior Armament for whichever route I take on the 1911. Not sure on what that will cost yet.

Not sure on where to turn to for a 45acp rifle. I wouldn't​ mind a Marlin in 45acp if possible.

I'm hearing that Goatneck works on Model 12's.

I'm just throwing things out there looking for opinions as well.

Boggus Deal works for Chuck so he knows Wild Bunch.  Boggus has worked on a couple of my pistols.  Oh, they're nice.

Goatneck is a good choice for your M12.  I'd also recommend Idaho Sixgun Sam's husband (Mark).

A lot of 45 ACP rifles out there.  Cody does the best '73 conversion.  I had one and it was a PIA.  I think it was a poor quality rifle to begin with.  So let Cody start with a new rifle.  I traded mine to a friend and every time I watch him shoot it, its like watching someone dancing with an old girl friend.  They're fun to watch and I know if I tried to run it again the rifle and I would have a battle. 

JFN

Sounds interesting.  Just a wondering, a level action in 45acp do you have to use flat nose bullets?

I always heard that round nose in a lever action rifle was a no-no.

I used truncated cone bullets.

I recently asked that question on the SASS wire.  A lot of folks use round nose bullets in their rifle.  A couple top shooters have run thousands through their rifles.  You make your own choice.

This is my third year of shooting WB and I'm contemplating some new toys after this last match. My SR1911 is starting to lose accuracy and I'm thinking about sending it off for a new barrel or just getting a whole new gun.

I'll bet you that, unless you have been cleaning the barrel with a milling bit, there is NOTHING wrong with your barrel.  You CERTAINLY have not shot the accuracy out of it yet, especially with lead bullet loads.  My 1973 vintage Colt 1911 has seen over 100 K rounds through it (probably less than 1k were jacketed), and it still holds tighter than I can.

Better check your load, then your barrel lockup in the slide, before you condemn a 3 year old SR1911 to the junk pile. 

Now, if that is just the excuse you are going to run up the flag pole to be able to get a new toy, well, have at it.  ;D 8)

Good luck, GJ

Now, if that is just the excuse you are going to run up the flag pole to be able to get a new toy, well, have at it.  ;D 8)

Good luck, GJ

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!

In all seriousness though something is definitely​ wrong. I used to be able to stack holes on targets. I'm running a 200gr SWC over 4.4gr WST, I know that's low and I'm running a risk of not making PF. I should bump it up to 4.6 gr. At the last match my ammo ran thru the Chrono at 937 fps. I thought the Chrono was broke. Now Shell Stuffer and Don Jorge were there as well and they said theirs was about right on. Now I did get a new progressive press so there's a possibility the powder measure started throwing more. I haven't had a chance to pull some bullets yet to double check the powder. We all agreed that 4.4 couldn't hit 937.

I'm shooting quality bullets from Badman Bullets. I haven't even had time to tear the gun down yet to see if there's​ any internal problems. I planned on doing it this past weekend but mother nature decided to put an F1 tornado down on the backside of our property and ride the property line. Fortunately no damage for us but a lot of trees down and the neighbors lost a metal building.

But yes, I want a new gun.

• 2 weeks later...