The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

.45 acp levergun

mortman

They can be made to run very reliably, at least, if not quite as "perfectly reliably" as a bottleneck-rimmed-cartridge lever gun.

If you want one, make sure it is built by someone who has built quite a few, and who lives close enough to help you tune out any problems. 

I know of a few that the owner gave up on after getting the conversion done.  And a few that the owner has resorted to special ammo loading techniques to achieve excellent reliability.

When a lever gun is built that tailors the action length to the actual length of .45 Auto, I would be somewhat enthusiastic.  Until then, what gun designs and chamberings that are commercially sold in pistol-caliber lever rifles suit me to a T.  ;D

MM, I would call one jamming all the time very odd. The money bet would be the ammo being used or how dirty the rifle.  I personally know of a 1/2 dozen that run perfect. Mine have been used extensively since I came up with the idea. I think that was 2011 or 12 and I won the Louisiana state championship overall using that rifle. Lots of wins since then and very few problems. It's got to be remembered that all 73's are sensitive to overall length, heck 92 winchesters are sensitive to overall length.  ;D bottom line I like mine.  easy to feed, fun to use. It's just convenient not better than anything else ,  ;D well other than it cures blow by and an accuracy increase....... Dusty Boddams

I have 2 model 73's in 45 ACP.  They run flawless.  Between the two rifles I have over 8,000 round fired.  With no problems.  As Dusty stated most of the time it is ammo issues that cause 1911's and the 45 ACP Rifles to cause problems. Codymatic ACP Rifle is the only one I would consider.

Goatneck

I have one that runs flawlessly now,I had a problem in the beginning that was easily solved ,I load with  the same set up as for my 1911 ,just use a 200gr bullet instead of a 230. I love it,I think I cleaned it once in the last 2000 rnds other than a squirt with some One Shot.It worked very well with the 230s too just have a lot of 200 sitting around .