The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Reuse the unfired primer?

I was listening to a reloader talk about removing a cast bullet from a loaded cartridge using an IMPACT puller, and reloading the case leaving the primer in place.  He maintains that the primer can be damaged by the force of the impact force generated with the impact puller, so he replaces the primer.  Your thoughts?

I avoid using primers that were in pulled ammo or that I punched out and re-seated in match rifle ammo.  Because I want only the best possible load.  The cost of discarding a primer is low compared with possibility of losing out on a first place in a match.

But, I've never damaged a primer by impact pulling or depriming that would not still work reliably in practice ammo.

It's all about the amount of risk that you want to take on the quality of the ammo you load.  Don't be surprised if there are differing opinions upon that "field of battle."

G S

We never reuse primers that were in a case and the bullet was removed with an impact puller.  We do not even use those primers for practice.  As cheap as primers are why would one risk the possibility of having a Miss Fire and cost  you winning a match..  With that said I have seen competitors in different disciplines mostly in precision Rifle & Pistol have many issues with reused Primers, even the anvils falling out of the primer when reused.

Goatneck

When I found an anvil laying on the loading bench after pulling a bullet with an impact puller, I decided to punch out the primers for match ammo.  On practice ammo, packaged as such, I will usually inspect and reuse after marking the primer with a dot of red finger nail polish.  I've not found any more 'extra' anvils since that one.