The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Factory loaded WB ammo?

Dantankerous

Until I get set up to reload for 45 ACP and dial in my reloads properly I am wanting to find and use factory loaded ammo. An internet search does not turn up much available for WB in 230 or 200 LRN. Ultramax through Midway USA and Cabela's seems to be the best priced.

Any problems with this Ultramax ammo in 230 gr LRN in terms of being reliable, clean/dirty, meeting PF, etc?

A search did not turn up much.  :'( except for maybe two accolades for Ultramax.

Appreciate the help.

I have used Ultramax and it is good stuff no problems. I really like the Herters/Blazer 230 grain plastic coated aluminum case load available from Cabelas at a good price. Works great and you don't have to worry about shagging or losing the brass as it is non-reloadable berdan primed aluminum.

It is real important you check PF in your gun with the first box of ammo you buy.  1911s are especially notorious for each gun throwing the slug at a different power factor.  I've got three, and there's 50 FPS spread between them.  That is enough to end up with a failure to make PF at a big match.

You want a load that will give you 165 PF in hot AND cold weather.  Even if the failure level for PF is 150.  Skating too close to that lower limit has burned a bunch of WB shooters.  That will mean it is important to chronograph the load in your gun.

Also, check feeding of any commercial load you consider, in your gun and magazines.  You should find 100% perfect feeding from your magazines and 100% perfect chambering without encountering tight noses or case diameters.  The 1911 is a finicky gun to feed, and if the factory ammo is sloppy, over length, under length, has too fat a nose, etc, your gun may not run that company's ammo well enough for you to be content shooting it in matches.

I have used Ultramax and it is good stuff no problems. I really like the Herters/Blazer 230 grain plastic coated aluminum case load available from Cabelas at a good price. Works great and you don't have to worry about shagging or losing the brass as it is non-reloadable berdan primed aluminum.

I just saw that stuff today at Cabela's. You're right it is a decent price. I'm assuming it is a lead core and therefore legal for using Wild Bunch?

Does that nylon coating tend to clog rifling though? Any feed reliability issues with it?

How are those aluminum cases on 1911 extractors? I don't mind using aluminum case ammo oin Glocks or something else with a much larger external extractor but 1911's sometimes develop shorter life spans on their extractors if you don't run brass ammo, I have heard although have never personally experienced this because so far I have never used aluminum cased ammo in a 1911.

Aluminum cases should not give you any extractor damage.  It's softer than brass!  It's the STEEL cases that can damage extractors and even chambers, although that possibility is pretty low now that Russians have learned how to coat steel to protect guns a little bit better.

But, if you can buy brass cased ammo (not aluminum), then you are ahead of the curve when it comes time to start loading your own, which you WILL want to do.  Just save your brass 'till ready.

Commercial .45 auto lead ammo comes and goes, and when it is available, it's as expensive as FMJ ammo, if not more.  You can load for 1/3 that cost.

And no, the polymer coated bullets don't foul barrels.  The 30 year old S&W nyclads had that reputation.  But the current coatings are not nylon.  They are higher-temperature polymers, and lots of folks are using them.  Get bullets from companies that know how to apply the coating.

I've used the Ultra Max Remanufactured bulk (250 rounds per box) that Sportsman's Warehouse seems to always have on-hand.  It is dimensionally good and I've not had a stoppage with it.  It is VERY hot and will wear you down in a six stage match.  I keep a box of it around for back-up, but would not choose to use it given my own ammo production being on schedule. 

I have had zero problems with the Herters poly coated ammo -- feeding, leading nothing. Great stuff and completely legal. I love it. My go to round for big matches. If I could afford it I would never use anything else.

I ran 100 rounds of said Herter's brand 45 acp through my 1911 today. Shoots a bit hot but works quite well. Was happy to see the performance of gun and ammo was spot on. Accuracy out of a 5" 1911 was more than acceptable. I have no idea how it would chrono but I am certain it meets PF. No light load there!

Now, Cabela's need to lower their prices even more for the Christmas shopping season.  :D

Good to Go is a great TX company and their plastic coated red rounds are as good as it gets. I have been using their 9mm red devils for months now in all my semi 9 mm pistolas and also in a pair of Blackhawks. Those come out at this one match where the targets are quite a bit smaller and farther out than the norm for CAS these days.

I heartily and highly recommend the company and their red devil rounds. Get on their email notifications list as they have specials quite often