The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Question on 1911 safety rules.

Will Lynchem

Maybe I am just over thinking this with a case of pre "big match"  jitters but I have seen three ways to clear and place your 1911 so you can move on to the next gun in that stage. I've read and reread the rules and know when moving on to the next gun in a stage your 1911 must be placed on the stage table, pointing down range,  with the slide locked back. When shooting a stage where it is necessary to shoot knock down targets and the targets must go down, im assuming that you can engage those targets until they all go down or you run out of ammo.

My question is, if you load an extra magazine to do this and you knock all the targets down but still have one or more live rounds in the gun, can you or do you,

A. Manually eject all remaining bullets and lock the slide back?

B . Drop the magazine then eject the round in the chamber and manually lock the slide back?

C. Safely discharge the remaining rounds down range,  let the slide lock back on its own and move on?

D. Any of the above?

I have seen all of these things done at different local matches but have never been clear as to if they are all legal.

Thanks in advance,  Will Lynchem.

First of all in a Sanctioned Wild Bunch Match such a a State of above match you CANNOT re-engage a knockdown that does not fall. You will not be re-engaging ANY KD target at WR.

As for what to do IF for some reason you complete engaging all required targets and you still have live rounds in the pistol you must completely clear it of all LIVE rounds and lock the slide open before staging it safely on a prop.

You CANNOT fire extra rounds down range. That is a "P".

Will, I think "B" would be your safest and fastest method to clear the 1911.  As HJ noted, you will never have a knockdown target that you will be able to re-engage, however, there may be a time when you have a jam and have to clear your mag and insert a new one, thus, leaving you with extra rounds in the gun.  BTW, my first Winter Range Wild Bunch match also.  I feel your jitters brother!

As the man said.  I would practice and have B as a plan for any instance where you have extra rounds at the end of a stage.  Usually happens if you have a malfunction or jam and have to load another mag to finish and end up with rounds in the pistol.  Keep it simple. Don't sweat the match too much just a version of a monthly match with more people.  Safety is the main issue to be concerned with.  Finger off the trigger while changing mags rf clearing jams, muzzle control, muzzle control.

Will, while I certainly can't add anything about the rules, they are pretty clear, I will give you some shooter advice. If at all possible put the gun down with an EMPTY magazine in place and lay it on its right side, with the slide lock and mag button facing up. The will help ensure that the slide stays locked back.

Again, gentleman,  thank you for your advice.  It's well taken. The one rule I have always lived by while shooting is safety first. I would really hate to travel all the way out there and spend all that money just to get DQed on a safety violation.  So looking forward to doing this and meeting you folks. Sincerely,  Will Lynchem.