The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Federal 155 vice federal 150

I've read on other websites that with the difficulty in finding Federal 150 primers for .45ACP, some are experimenting with Federal 155 primers as a substitute. Granted they are IPSC/IDPA forums and involve light springs/race guns etc. What thoughts are there on this from WB shooter's?

Pain

Experimenting?  Psshaw, we already know they work. 

Any 1911 tuned to where it won't set off even CCI primers is probably not tuned well.  I shoot Winchester or Federal  (any of the 4 variations), and yes even CCI  primers in my 1911s because the mainspring is not super light.  Use of magnum primers can be expected to increase velocity (and pressure) slightly in most loads, so a chrono check and examination for excess pressure signs after a change to magnum primers is always wise.

Right now, the Federal Large, Magnum, Match (155M) primer seems to be easier to get in these parts than any of the other LP Federals.  And those work fine too.

This is Wild Bunch - no fancy guns that won't fire off primers or that you have to work over if the load changes pressure or recoil slightly.

One of the nice things about WB - no race guns!

Good luck, GJ

The 1911 needs a mix to run very good. The hammer spring should be factory if not a pound or two heavier. However lightly, it will slow the slide and muzzle rise is minimized. Oversize FPS, light recoils/reaction spring (I shoot a 12#er), slow powder with a heavy bullet.

The wonder of the 1911 is just how differently it can be configured, sprung and fed and still work.  I would certainly never declare that there was only one way to shoot Wild Bunch level loads with it.   

But, back to the OP, just about any primer will work.  Even, Agggh, a small pistol primer if you have the new shrunken-primer-pocket brass.  :D

Good luck, GJ

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...