The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Recipe information please

Sadly Joe I have blown a pistol up.  I did it by using the "most accurate" load out of a printed Nosler load manual for the Nosler bullets I was loading.  A small case (40 S&W) with a bulky powder, so it wasn't a double charge.  It was a Glock, so a new mag and mag release and we were good to go again.

We all have different experiences which shape our recommendations.  This is why I believe a chronograph is more important.  Few people will spend the $100 for an inexpensive chronograph.  We get lazy and use someone else's data whether it is published in a manual by a reputable company or from "Joe Reloader."  My laziness that day taught me a lesson.

So you recommend a load manual and I will recommend a chronograph and maybe we will get new reloaders to buy both!

JFN

Buy both and don't look back. The manual's give more information then just load data and the chronograph's tell the absolute truth! JFN's correct load data can be found online from the powder maker, but there is interesting things elsewhere in the manuals, such as the history of the cartridge or being able to compare different cartridges performances.

Most top shooters have moved to 230 grains for the reasons mentioned by Boggus and others.

JFN,

I'm curious as to why your "practice" rounds are different powder than your big match rounds. Is it simply powder availability or something else? 

Tully

Buy both and don't look back. The manual's give more information then just load data and the chronograph's tell the absolute truth! JFN's correct load data can be found online from the powder maker, but there is interesting things elsewhere in the manuals, such as the history of the cartridge or being able to compare different cartridges performances.

Most top shooters have moved to 230 grains for the reasons mentioned by Boggus and others.

JFN,

I'm curious as to why your "practice" rounds are different powder than your big match rounds. Is it simply powder availability or something else? 

Tully

+1 on buy both, especially if new to reloading. There is a lot more reloading information in most manuals than load data.

correct load data can be found online from the powder maker

Well, there's at least one rub about trying to find data on-line anymore from Alliant, the manufacturer of Red Dot.  If you go to their current published data, all you find is the MAX load and velocity for the bullet weight and powder type.  They stopped publishing a range of loads that work well several years ago!  Made their data much less useful for light loading!

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/recipedetail.aspx?gtypeid=1&weight=230&shellid=35&bulletid=63

BUT, if you go to the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, for a 230 grain RN slug and Red Dot, you get what Lyman considers to be the full useful range of loads from minimum to maximum, from whence you can then get a good estimate of the load to make any particular Power Factor you want.

But, anybody shooting a WB match at the state or higher level had better run their loads over a chrono before going to the match, to ensure you "make" power factor!  Remember what happens when some powders get cold, too!