The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

What to you is the essence of Wild Bunch and what would you like to see changed?

So, the word from Land Run is that the Territorial Governors are discussing what rule changes should be made to fine tune the revamped Wild Bunch program, with changes to be voted on and implemented next year (if I have that wrong, feel free to correct me.)

In hopes of assisting that discussion  I’d like to throw out a couple of questions to hopefully a decent cross section of WB shooters.  To do this, I am posting this on three different forums (fora?) 

(Note:  I will post my own answers, but as separate posts from the questions.)

First:  What do you think makes Wild Bunch different from Cowboy shooting and that needs to be preserved? (What, if lost, would spoil Wild Bunch for you?  What elements or characteristics constitute the essence of Wild Bunch to you?   What would you tell the folks looking at the rules ‘Don’t touch this!’?)

Second:  What Rule changes would you like to see made?

Hopefully we can get some useful response  that might come to the attention of the powers that be.

First question (What is important to me in Wild Bunch?)
1. MOVEMENT! Multiple target arrays for pistol. Multiple reloads. Pistol arrays at different distances within a stage. Movement with the shotgun.
2. Variety. Target arrays that are not just straight lines shot in predicable sweeps. Geometric patterns (Ts, Ls, Xs, Y, Chevrons). Different round counts from stage to stage. Some stages no rifle, some no shotgun. Some stages putting a premium on pistol marksmanship, some placing the emphasis on quick mag changes.
3. Difficulty: WB should be more difficult than CAS. With CAS clubs setting a standard that ¼ or 1/3 of shooters should be shooting clean matches, I don’t think we  want Wild Bunch devolving into that with 24x24 targets at 4 yards.

Second question: (Rule changes I would like to see)
1, Allow 20 gauge Model 12 shotguns (as we now allow 20 gauge side by sides – the 97 was never made in 20 gauge)
2. In the Modern Class, allow rubber magazine baseplate bumpers. I don’t see a competitive advantage and allows more people to use what they have. Consider allowing Commander length guns in Modern.
3. Eliminate the max weight for the Modern class 1911. A lot of off the shelf pistols are an ounce or two over the limit and the other restrictions should still keep the race guns out.
4. Allow GI style shoulder holsters. (OK, I can dream) True to the movie,and shoulder holsters are allowed in Cowboy. The 170- rule would still apply. Actually probably safer than in Cowboy because of the need to rack the slide on the 1911.
5. In BAMM/Doughboy, allow 1945 or earlier rifles that have been rechambered by a military to a different caliber. This would allow Norwegian or South American 98K Mausers rechambered to .30-06, Indian Enfields rechambered to 7.62 or Israeli Mausers rechambered to 7.62. Of course, lead bullets would still be required. (.30-06 and 7.62 brass are a lot easier  to find and cheaper than 8mm Mauser. )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Doc Holloman said:
First question (What is important to me in Wild Bunch?)
1. MOVEMENT! Multiple target arrays for pistol. Multiple reloads. Pistol arrays at different distances within a stage. Movement with the shotgun.
2. Variety. Target arrays that are not just straight lines shot in predicable sweeps. Geometric patterns (Ts, Ls, Xs, Y, Chevrons). Different round counts from stage to stage. Some stages no rifle, some no shotgun. Some stages putting a premium on pistol marksmanship, some placing the emphasis on quick mag changes.
3. Difficulty: WB should be more difficult than CAS. With CAS clubs setting a standard that ¼ or 1/3 of shooters should be shooting clean matches, I don’t think we  want Wild Bunch devolving into that with 24x24 targets at 4 yards.

Second question: (Rule changes I would like to see)
1, Allow 20 gauge Model 12 shotguns (as we now allow 20 gauge side by sides – the 97 was never made in 20 gauge)
2. In the Modern Class, allow rubber magazine baseplate bumpers. I don’t see a competitive advantage and allows more people to use what they have. Consider allowing Commander length guns in Modern.
3. Eliminate the max weight for the Modern class 1911. A lot of off the shelf pistols are an ounce or two over the limit and the other restrictions should still keep the race guns out.
4. Allow GI style shoulder holsters. (OK, I can dream) True to the movie,and shoulder holsters are allowed in Cowboy. The 170- rule would still apply. Actually probably safer than in Cowboy because of the need to rack the slide on the 1911.
5. In BAMM/Doughboy, allow 1945 or earlier rifles that have been rechambered by a military to a different caliber. This would allow Norwegian or South American 98K Mausers rechambered to .30-06, Indian Enfields rechambered to 7.62 or Israeli Mausers rechambered to 7.62. Of course, lead bullets would still be required. (.30-06 and 7.62 brass are a lot easier  to find and cheaper than 8mm Mauser. )

Doc, I like all your ideas, I will add these:

1, Continue to allow .38 rifles, but put a minimum Power Factor in. No Mouse Phart Loads.

2. Open the handguns back up to allow Lugers, Broomhandles, 1917s etc.

• Thanks 1

All good thoughts so far.  And besides the Condition One start, movement with the pistol in any condition would be fine by me too. (Full disclosure, I also shoot IPSC! 😄)  A reasonable PF for 38 Rifles for sure... 125? Its pretty standard elsewhere..         TOTALLY agree with allowing WWII rifles rechambered to other SUITABLE calibres... I think of that as an "Internal modification" LOL

• Like 3

Set and enforce a minimum target distance. Some clubs have targets at 3 to 4 feet from the muzzle. That's way too close no matter how the steel is set for WB loads.

Stages should be a variety of distances, target arrangements, shooting order.

Keep the movement. 

Stay out of the 10, 10, 4 rut that has become SASS. Encourage stages that only use two guns vice three, stages with a SG or Rifle reload.

Clean WB stages shouldn't be the norm

Minimum PF for rifle rounds. (125)

Allow Lugers, Broomhandles, 1917s etc.

On 10/19/2024 at 10:39 AM, Doc Holloman said:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tennessee River said:

The change allowing 38SPL is good, but I would also stretch the shotgun requirements. Add ANY PUMP shotgun with wood & metal hardware and traditional sights. No plastics and no deer sights. There is nothing in the above that detracts from the spirit of WB nor gives anyone a competitive advantage. 

I would like to hear the argument against it. I can't think of an advantage off the top of my head.

The combination of guns used for WB is what I like most. The 1911, lever action rifle, and the venerable Winchester model 97 shotgun "stoked" makes WB for me.

Stages with no rifle or no shotgun totally misses it for me, the combination of guns and transitions is what makes it fun. A pistol only stage is just bullseye shooting, and that already exists elsewhere. There are tons of combinations that keep it interesting with 2,3,or4 magazines, exceeding four mags on a stage usually is doing the same sequence again, and again. I like combination rifle pistol sequences.

The allowing 38 rifles is a great addition to WB. At this time I see no need to up the power factor. Knock down targets will cure that. Timers picking up the 38s can and is done all the time. The only firearm I have not been able to time is a suppressed .22. TO you need to get closer regardless which firearm is last to ensure you get the last shot. There is no rule saying "rifle not last" unless there is some type of obstruction (window doorway) that prevents the TO from getting a little closer to the gun, allow rifle last.

Target distance and size always seems to come up in these discussions. This is totally on the range officials and what they have to work with. Remember who your shooters are! Dumping 7 on 3 big targets at close range is "meh" for me, but my wife gets a kick out of it and if you transition to 15 yard smaller targets on the same stage, you have something for everyone. WB doesn't need everything big and close, but there is nothing better for the sport than a grinning shooter coming off the line cuz he/she had fun mag dumping on an easy target.

• Like 2