The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

To cut or not to cut

So I picked up a back up model 12 for a song at the lgs a few months back. It was covered in surface rust but the action was very smooth for a gun made in 55 and probably only stored in a closet for the last 70 years or so (the barrel inside looks like a mirror). Anyway, at the wv wb state match this past weekend,  my main shotgun decided stage 6 was the time for it to go on strike and quit working. So I grabbed "ole crusty" and went to work. Ole crusty isn't modified in the least bit save for a nice brown protective layer of "patina" but did get me through the rest of the match and won me another state traditional championship. Ole crusty has a modified choke 36 inch barrel. So the question is this, should I chop it off to 20" like my main gun or just leave it all alone in it's old crusty glory? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Boomstick Bruce said:

It was covered in surface rust but the action was very smooth

Perfect description for a "shooter" gun.  Make it yours.  (Kroil and fine bronze wool scrubbing will take all that remaining rust off, when you decide to do that)

good luck, GJ

• Like 1

I'd cut it!

But I cut anything over 20 inches on all my 97's and M12's 😂

I have goose guns for geese +26, +28, + 30 but not for CAS or WB

Please note * this is free advise so it's worth what you paid for it...

Good luck,

CC

6 hours ago, Boggus Deal said:

Personally, I wouldn’t go to 20”. That feels too short and muzzle light to me. I like 22 at least.  And even then I put weight in the magazine:

Boggus, how do you add weight?  I thought someone used to sell a weighted follower?

I fill my stock bolt holes with flattened 45 colt bullets. My main shotgun is a 3" solid rib cut at 20" with jeweled 2 3/4 bolt and flagged lifter I got on eBay for like 30 bucks! The sucker is heavy and has very controllable recoil with the Estate 1oz factory loads I buy. 

How much are those weighted followers and where do I buy 2?

On 7/26/2024 at 2:47 PM, El Chapo said:

I am facing the same dilemma!  My gun is a 28" or so modified choke barrel.  I have all the stuff to cut it but I'd talked myself out of it.  I need to get to cutting!!

I used a pipe cutter, just take your time. I also ordered a .175 bead and tap and drill bit set.

• Like 2