The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Recovery from Pistol drawn at wrong time

What was/is the thinking of the rules committee about handling a drawn pistol that has been drawn out of leather at the wrong point in a stage?

The thing that happened was a shooter pulled the pistol clear of leather, had not yet racked the slide, realize rifle was the gun that should be fired rather than pistol.  I understand the pistol cannot go back to leather and that it must be open and empty to stage it on the table.

But (sorry about that, here it comes), it seems the pistol is just one of three firearms that is uncocked with an empty chamber at this point -- as safe as any of the guns at the line.

What safety issue did the committee anticipate that requires opening and emptying the pistol before setting it down at this point?  (or, even putting it back in the holster for that matter -- but, I won't ask that one).

Thanks for helping me to make this rule logical so that I can remember it and explain it when next required to do so.

I'm sure others will chime in but I would say returning back to holster and no call due to the fact the pistol was not charged and did not leave the shooters control. The pistol once charged can not be returned to leather and if the pistol had been charged he could have just shot it out of order and taken the p or the pistol could have been cleared , slide locked back and layer on table until ready for use. With no penalty but time accrued. I'm sure  HJ or some ambassadors will respond shortly.  Dusty

I can't say what was anticipated, but per the rules. Once the pistol is drawn (clears the holster) it cannot be reholstered until cleared at the end of the stage. The only way the pistol is safe to leave the shooters hand during the stage is at slide lock with no magazine or an empty magazine.

Thank you for asking this question. It rarely happens BUT the situation is clearly covered in the rules. We have discovered through SAD experience that when you try to carve out an exception to the rules to allow for a particular circumstance (even though it seems practical) that bad things happen.

Some definitions from page 28 WBAS Shooters Handbook:

Pistol in hand: when the muzzle of the pistol clears the mouth if the holster ..................

Stage: synonymous with "Course of Fire", from the beep of the timer once the shooter has signified "ready" to the last shot fired.

Comment covering the question:  WBAS Handbook page 7  No matter what occurs during the stage, it is imperative to remember the 1911 CANNOT be re-holstered until after the course of fire is completed, and it is checked clear and made safe.

Penalty for re-holstering:WBAS Shooters Handbook page 20  SDQ    re-holstering the pistol without it being cleared by a stage official.

You can shoot it before the rifle, and take the P.

you can drop the mag, go to slide lock, and stage it safely, shoot the rifle, then pick it up, reload and carry on, so, how fast can ya clear it, stage it, pick it up, load, then shoot it as the stage states regarding shooting order of gun(S).

10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4..............3, 2.........,1

Or put it back in the holster and get a stage dq.....

had to make that call.....

rough one for sure.

it is what it is as.