The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Buckles vs. Conchos vs. ? - For WBAS

Misty Moonshine

Good morning all: 

Years ago, at the beginning of the sanctioning of WBAS matches, SASS provided buckles for the overall winners. In short, the feedback we received at that time was that WBAS shooters didn't want buckles- most didn't wear buckles like CAS shooters, they wanted something different, etc. 

So, Coyote worked with the WB Committee and the Concho idea was born. 

Lately, it seems the tide has turned and WBAS shooters are looking for that overall buckle at the award ceremony at all sanctioned matches. 

So... what say you? Stick with conchos? Introduce a WBAS specific buckle design? Other ideas? 

I look forward to hearing from you to ensure SASS is fulfilling its sanctioning commitment at a level that shows our support and commitment to WBAS- and giving you what you want as an award for your successes on the range! 

Misty Moonshine

Misty,

As a match director, I haven't had anyone say they'd prefer a buckle. Many shooters attach multiple conchos to their gun belts, holsters or gun cart boxes. I have no preference for myself.

I'm curious as to how the information was obtained, did SASS do a poll of WB MD's, ambassadors, shooters? 

Tully

Currently SASS provides four conchos, (Modern, Traditional, Ladies Modern, Ladies Traditional), the club has to buy Senior and Junior conchos at $50.00 per concho. Will SASS be providing four buckles if this change is implemented, or just two overall buckles?

Currently the cost to obtain the Senior category conchos is within most clubs budget, if we go to buckles it most likely will not be affordable. 

Tully

Tully, I will say I had at least some hand in bringing this up based on feedback from running WB matches in our area, our shooters and talking to shooters in OK and TX. I am a little curious as our conchos are $65 a piece for senior conchos. 

Our area would favor having a WB specific buckle. I assume this would be an overall Mens and Ladies like SASS does for sanctioned cowboy matches. Currently the feeling is we are forced to buy the conchos to honor all categories the same. At the $65 price point, this is higher than the each cost we have paid for any of our buckles from Mollys. Since we ran TR and DB as main match categories, we would have been looking at 7 conchos out of pocket, for less than that price we bought buckles for each of the Territorial champions.  

We would prefer to have the freedom to decide what awards are used, and the ability to make it more affordable. 

For the Illinois State Wild Bunch Match this last July, we gave Buckles to the Overall State Champions (Male and Lady) and a Buckle for each Category State Champion.  The Category State winners also received Conchos.  There were three Plaques for top three in each category.

The Buckles seemed to be well received.

FAAFA1E1-ECB3-4965-A188-F5D97BB1EC65.jpeg

• Like 1

I prefer a buckle for a display case, but the nice buckles should only be for the top shooters. Too many less-nice buckles/awards reduce their value and meaning. I like what Jorge described.

I've never been a fan of the state/region/national champion being someone other than the top shooter in the category. Why does it matter where the shooter resides? I've been on both sides of it, and it's always strange. If you travel to my state and whoop me, you oughta get the accolades for doing so.

• Like 1

Conchos make sure the top shooter in each category is recognized. If it's only two buckles for top woman and man, then we are taking away from the category winners in my opinion. It does seem there is a difference in Concho cost, $65 seems steep, and would make it difficult for clubs to offer Conchos to Senior and Junior categories. 

• Like 2

On 9/28/2023 at 9:50 AM, Tully Mars said:

Misty,

As a match director, I haven't had anyone say they'd prefer a buckle. Many shooters attach multiple conchos to their gun belts, holsters or gun cart boxes. I have no preference for myself.

I'm curious as to how the information was obtained, did SASS do a poll of WB MD's, ambassadors, shooters? 

Tully

Tully: 

Our information was obtained by taking calls and getting emails from shooters all across the country here at HQ. We began to notice that with more and more frequency over the past year that the shooters were expressing their dislike of the Conchos and there have been comments that WBAS should get buckles like CAS. My making this post here asking the question was to accomplish the "poll" and get direct feedback from everyone to gauge the responses. 

Misty

On 9/28/2023 at 10:13 AM, Tully Mars said:

Currently SASS provides four conchos, (Modern, Traditional, Ladies Modern, Ladies Traditional), the club has to buy Senior and Junior conchos at $50.00 per concho. Will SASS be providing four buckles if this change is implemented, or just two overall buckles?

Currently the cost to obtain the Senior category conchos is within most clubs budget, if we go to buckles it most likely will not be affordable. 

Tully

I'm not necessarily rallying to implement a change... unless it is what our shooters want.

If it seems that the conversation steers toward a preference of buckles over conchos - perhaps we can offer a choice for MD's? Of course, we will work to make sure the cost is feasible. 

Misty 

On 9/28/2023 at 9:36 PM, Artemus said:

Tully, I will say I had at least some hand in bringing this up based on feedback from running WB matches in our area, our shooters and talking to shooters in OK and TX. I am a little curious as our conchos are $65 a piece for senior conchos. 

Our area would favor having a WB specific buckle. I assume this would be an overall Mens and Ladies like SASS does for sanctioned cowboy matches. Currently the feeling is we are forced to buy the conchos to honor all categories the same. At the $65 price point, this is higher than the each cost we have paid for any of our buckles from Mollys. Since we ran TR and DB as main match categories, we would have been looking at 7 conchos out of pocket, for less than that price we bought buckles for each of the Territorial champions.  

We would prefer to have the freedom to decide what awards are used, and the ability to make it more affordable. 

Good Morning Artemus,

The Wild Bunch Conchos are $50.00 a piece which includes shipping. I'm not sure where you are getting $65- I pulled your clubs records to make sure and they were (are) $50.  

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Ruby Ruthless

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ruby Ruthless said:

Good Morning Artemus,

The Wild Bunch Conchos are $50.00 a piece which includes shipping. I'm not sure where you are getting $65- I pulled your clubs records to make sure and they were (are) $50.  

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Ruby Ruthless

Ruby,

Thanks for the clarification, I was trying to verify that, but had not been able to do so yet. Thanks for making it easy

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Here are the Michigan Wild Buch Awards this year, plaques for top 3 in each category, side match awards, overall champion buckle all from Slater in Tennessee and Sass conchos.  I thought is was a good variety.   I like the SASS conchos but SASS buckles would be cool too.  I would guess most shooters would want buckles though if they had to pick. 

379661660_3635454046687845_3940693573666271775_n.thumb.jpg.694939bc44cdc97ac07d3586e647d93e.jpg

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

Personally, I prefer the quality awards.  I'd prefer a quality concho, like Ethan posted, over a pewter like/chromed/painted trucker buckle any day, the Mollys buckles are kind of a benchmark for a quality award and wear/display better in my opinion.