The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Model 12 chamber

Lone Dog

I have been acquiring a few M12s and was wondering if it would help with recoil and such if they were given the Vang comp improvements or anything along those lines. Two are in the shop now getting slicked and I was thinking of asking him to do something along those lines to the chambers and forcing cones. Are all M12 chambers compatible with the modern 2.75 inch plastic shells? Or are they somewhat on the short side like 97s ? Thanks for any insight pards

I am immune to recoil and that thing is too pricey for poor fat boy. Sorry I mentioned recoil as that is not my concern, heck I use featherlites. I was just wondering if the ole M12s could maybeso be enhanced by chamber and forcing cone lengthening. And if they are compatible with modern shells. Maybe do the back-boring thing whatever that is and entails

well howdy LD! you could try water'n down the whiskey and go to a lighter load. oh I just see your new post. you can lengthen the forcing cone and that helps with recoil. probably would help the pattern as far as consistency  also. I don't think any model 12's are short chambered. ya'll snowed in? dusty

People of the great Panhandle never get snowed in. We still go as we are used to it. Unlike you humidity breathers who become paralyzed with an inch or less of the white stuff. Still looking for answers to the chamber/forcing cone lengthening/tapering-out and/or back-boring questions  ??

it really takes way less than a whole inch to cause lots of problems here.  as I said you can lengthen the forcing cone and that helps recoil . no  reason to lengthen the chamber. Hi quality recoil pads really help.  there is some other trick stuff that money can be spent on barrel wise  but if sporting clays and trap aren't in the game it's probably not the best money spent.  I would think just slicked up and 100% reliability would be the name of the game. however if you did do all this stuff it won't hurt the shotgun , just the pocketbook. dusty

Thanks pard. I was just wondering and now I know. Slicking will be good enuff.

Ha ha every 10 years when they get less than an inch in Houston I hear they let out school!. If they did that up here we would have to have school in the summer

All Mod 12s were cut with the "new" 2.75 chambers, not the 2 9/16ths common to 97s.

Lengthening forcing cone would be an easy and effective improvement, since you probably will shoot those modern plastic wads.

Back boring requires removal of barrel thickness.  You would want a good gunsmith to do that work anyway, and first thing he'd better do is measure carefully to see if it can be done with the barrel you have.    It would eliminate any future addition of choke tubes, almost certainly. 

I've never heard of anyone back-boring for Cowboy/WB shooting, as it is most often done to improve patterning as much as reduce perceived recoil.

good luck, GJ

Lone Dog

One feature I do for my customers when doing an action job on the Model 12's is lengthen the Forcing Cones.  This is a 3 fold benefit.  First it produces a symmetrically round shot pattern secondly it eliminates the holes in the pattern which produces a denser pattern.  Lastly is reduces recoil by about 20%.  This allows the shooter quicker 2nd thru 6th shot recovery time.  Also in the Cowboy Double shotguns I build over 90% of the customers request this option. 

thans Fred. So you did that on that M12 I got from Miss Cubbie? Did not know that was part of the package. Like I say I am immune to recoil especially since I only shoot featherlites so recoil is/was not my concern or reason for starting this thread.

If you paid for the Lengthening of the Forcing Cones than it was included in your package.  It is an extra option that is a few dollars more.  Now LD nobody is immune to recoil when shooting a shotgun.  Even the shotgun pros tune their guns for the least amount of recoil.  Cowboy shooters are no exception.  Now think about it if your shotgun recoils less, than your second shot acquisition is quicker.  Its as much as 1 to 2 seconds per stage.  Figure that over a 10 stage match and its between 10 and 20 seconds total time saved.