The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Model '12

Allie Mo

Yeah me!

I've shot my Model '12 SG and am ready to take it to a match. It is very smooth operating.

I've been having troubles with my '97s (of course, Hubby claims operator error ::) ) and hope the '12 may contribute to a smoother match.

Regards,

Allie

PS I hope any of you near the Sacramento area will attend the CA State WBAS match at Diamond Dick's Cowboy Town March 27 - 29, 2015.  :D

I find more problems when I run Model 12s really hard.  IMHO, they do best when run smoothly and just firmly.  Don't panic - run one like you are just a firm master of the mechanism.

And just for completeness:

At the loading table with a Model 12, you drop the hammer by pulling the trigger.  All it takes is close action and pull trigger. 

Many folks are hanging a scarf or some other indicator from the trigger guard before they head for the line.    It's a reminder to both the TO and the shooter that the Model 12 has to be checked at the line that the hammer is down.  Take the "M12 indicator" off the gun, show the hammer has already fallen by pulling trigger, stow the indicator in your back pocket or other storage spot.

You knew that already, I would venture!

Good luck with that lovely hunk of steel and walnut!  GJ

I have been practicing with it just like it would be used at a match. That includes pulling the trigger before loading. It is the same process as loading the '97 so there is no change there. Just the showing at the line. I never thought about using an indicator/reminder.

It is a beautiful gun, very pristine, unlike our '97s, which look well used.

Allie,

As bad as I hate to say it, there are T/Os who will not help you remember to declare it on the line. I consider it part of my obligation to the shooter to help them. Just like if I see they don't have a magazine in the gun or not enough on their belt. The flag is just a reminder to everybody on the line, T/O and shooter, included.

BD

I hesitate to guess at a percentage but a good number of Wild Bunch shooters are using the M12s so there is less chance that someone will overlook the staging procedure. 

Some of us even make a little game of it:

"Excuse me, Ms. RO..."

"You rang?"

"I have here a Model 12 shotgun."

"Do tell."

"I'm now pointing it down range and pulling on the trigger (demonstrating)."

"No click, no bang, you are good!"

"Thankee!"

I don't think we have had any shooter earn a stage DQ yet.

Abe, I know of one lady here local who has earned two from the same T/O. I also know of at least one at Winter Range last year. Granted, most T/Os try to help and it is ultimately, the shooter's responsibility but we get in our zone before shooting the stage and it can slip our minds as shooters. Henceforth, the flag!

I'm so glad I posted here. I now see the advantage to having a "flag" on the trigger guard. I know several folks who shoot 12s. I don't remember seeing the TO check the trigger lately.

Wow, Boggus! That person should not run the timer! If said TO could remember to give a DQ, s/he should remember to ask the shooter to pull the trigger before the beep, without penalty. >:(

Allie,

As I said, it's ultimately the shooter's responsibility, but if a T/O can help a shooter, they should. This was a really new shooter and quite nervous and that is exactly when I think an T/O really needs to give the shooter as much help as possible.

I have let Wild Bunch shooters start without a magazine in their 1911 and cowboy shooters start without shotgun shells on their body. I always feel bad about it after the fact.

Boggus

Allie,

All Model 12 shooters I saw last weekend at GCWB declared their "model 12" and pulled the trigger for the TO. I even shot my Model 12 on a few stages and remembered to pull the trigger for the TO.

Model 12 user's seem to be catching on well to the rule of pulling the trigger for the TO, or at least it seems so to me.

Tully

re: Model 12 ... How often, if any, has your Loading Officer(s) watched & insured that you put internal hammer down before loading and leaving to go to the line?  The next time may be my first!

And I believe this occurs because the majority of the shotguns used for WB are '97's

Boggus, your right but old habits are lasting ... I shot pumps from the age of 10 and the safety always went on before loading my Ithaca 37's after pulling the trigger

I may be crazy (it's never been documented!), but I think my model 12's cycle better if I hold the trigger down while closing the action. All 4 of mine are stock, in that no safeties have been removed. So when cycling the action for the first shot on the line you have to remember to have forward pressure on the slidefirst, then the action will cycle. When I hold the trigger while closing the action at the loading table this condition goes away. Am I nuts?

It makes no difference in cycling my M12 whether I hold the trigger down while cycling the action or if I close the action and pull the trigger.  I prefer to close the action and then pull the trigger hearing the hammer drop.  Otherwise I do the OCD thing of repeatedly checking the trigger while standing at the load table to make sure it is really down.

JFN