The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Minimum Bullet Weight

C.N. Double

What is the intent of the minimum bullet weight rule? I know many of our rules are designed to preserve the original nature of the guns and ammo -- is the same true for the 180gn bullet minimum? Is it to allow a safer acceptable overlap to meet both power factor and max velocity limits? Something else?

CN,  All of your speculations are part of it and also at the time of writing all of the 38-40 shooters we spoke with were using 180grain bullets of lighter. While you can get 180grain bullets for 45ACP they are so light that you need to re-spring the pistol to get good performance so those things were also considered.  The biggest regret I have was dropping the power factor to 150 instead of leaving it at the worldwide standard of 165. I was just trying to keep the masses used to pop gun loads from complaining.  I was told by the General, the Judge and Coyote when writing the rules it was to be a big bore full power sport and the biggest mistake was the lowered power factor but it is too late now.

Thanks, Happy Jack. I appreciate the historical perspective, and the recent discussion made me wonder. I'm not (always) trying to be the millennial asking, "but whyyyy?" The more I thought about it and looked at loading data, the more some type of minimum made sense for safety purposes.

I like the game the way it is :)