The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Looking for clarification, acceptable rifles for BAMM side match

Brushwood Bruce

Hey gang, looking for some help and clarification on the rules. I'm considering a 30-40 Krag carbine for BAMM side matches. How can I be sure this thing hasn't had any external mods that would render it unacceptable for use? I'm not really a military bolt rifle historian so I couldn't tell you if this carbine is "as issued" or if it's been cut down. Or am I just reading too much into the rules on this one?

B.B. , I’m not on the rules committee but I will try and help you. First thing to remember the internets your friend. Lots of good pictures to compare yours to. The rifle must have its original type as issued battle sights. Original type stock,no cheek piece ,no recoil pad etc.

If the rifle has been converted to a carbine and done right it would be very hard to tell without an expert looking at it. On top of that the NRA cut a bunch if I remember correctly and then companies like Bannerman. Good news is if it looks right but it’s fake then that would be a faithful reproduction. Lots and lots of different countries re Arsenaled rifles over the years into different configurations for service rifles. The krags are great historic rifles but reloads on the clock gain more in style than a reduction in time.

• 2 weeks later...

Spent a lot of time on the Krag collectors site and looked at many Krag "carbines." Bottom line is there are a lot of altered rifles out there, both carbines and cadet rifles. Many times the collectors can't tell by looking at a Krag if it has been altered, they have to research the factory records.

If you have to look up the serial number to see if it was originally was a rifle, I'd say DB is correct, it's a faithful reproduction.

We are shooters here not collectors. We do this for fun.

JFN

• 1 month later...

Hey gang, looking for some help and clarification on the rules. I'm considering a 30-40 Krag carbine for BAMM side matches. How can I be sure this thing hasn't had any external mods that would render it unacceptable for use? I'm not really a military bolt rifle historian so I couldn't tell you if this carbine is "as issued" or if it's been cut down. Or am I just reading too much into the rules on this one?

Posting a photograph here would be very helpful.