The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Fair price for field grade model 12

Go to GunBroker and look at prices. I have bought 2 nearly new M12's on GunBroker, mid-1950s vintage for $350 shipped to me, including the FFL transfer fee on my end. There are a lot of nearly new M12s out there. I wouldn't pay over $200 for a well used one. So, make sure it is of recent manufacture in good condition and don't buy a "duck gun" i.e. 3" chamber. Most of them don't work for WB. Ribbed barrels are more and add nothing especially after you cut the barrel so I avoided them too.

JFN

• 2 weeks later...

In addition to condition, it depends on how it's advertized. I bought a 1959 model on Gunbroker in December for $116, because the buyer bragged up all the bad things about it, and none of the good things.

He mentioned things like -

Scattered light rust end to end

Mag tube torn (never did find that one, other than one of the end cap screw holes was cracked to the end of the tube)

Mag tube held on with wire (it was installed 180º off)

Blue paint speckles on butt stock (hardly noticeable, and cleaned right off)

Bulge in barrel (I was going to cut it anyway - ended up about 23")

The mag tube was also gouged and dented in a few places, perhaps due to trying to turn the tube with channel locks or a pipe wrench or somesuch. I turned out a plug on the ol' Jet lathe, tapped it into the tube, and tapped the dents out with a 2 oz hammer.

My other one is a 1937 model and has much better cosmetics. Other than having "Riverside police" (Austin, TX) electric penciled on one side of the receiver, it's in VG+ condition. I paid $275 for that one.

Model12_01.thumb.jpg.7362be7ec97cf43412cf0540bc72239a.jpg

In addition to condition, it depends on how it's advertized. I bought a 1959 model on Gunbroker in December for $116, because the buyer bragged up all the bad things about it, and none of the good things.

He mentioned things like -

Scattered light rust end to end

Mag tube torn (never did find that one, other than one of the end cap screw holes was cracked to the end of the tube)

Mag tube held on with wire (it was installed 180º off)

Blue paint speckles on butt stock (hardly noticeable, and cleaned right off)

Bulge in barrel (I was going to cut it anyway - ended up about 23")

The mag tube was also gouged and dented in a few places, perhaps due to trying to turn the tube with channel locks or a pipe wrench or somesuch. I turned out a plug on the ol' Jet lathe, tapped it into the tube, and tapped the dents out with a 2 oz hammer.

My other one is a 1937 model and has much better cosmetics. Other than having "Riverside police" (Austin, TX) electric penciled on one side of the receiver, it's in VG+ condition. I paid $275 for that one.

Good info, thanks TFJ!