The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

New 2020 scoring rule

Back 40

That is a good start but not enough to get me back. We do our own thing now, done with trying to fix things where people aren't wanting to fix.

Maybe one day when you look at the scores you will be able to tell if your score was entered correctly. Would be real easy just have time, misses, Ps, and safety violations on the final score sheet. We do it here locally (don't care what SASS does) should be done at all shoots. Just an opinion that now one will care about. Carry on!

I have never heard anyone say that they don't shoot Wild Bunch because of the scoring system.  Granted, it might be a point of contention with seasoned WB shooters and Total Time might be favored by a lot of us but I just don't  think it will attract new shooters.  I will shoot Wild Bunch no matter how it is scored.

Blackfoot :) :)

HI Gang; I been shooting CAS for decades, rank scoring then, sometimes we used stop watch's or watched the second hand on a wrist    watch. We came to shoot and have fun. YEP got wrong time or score, so what! I shoot IPSC and do not get the scoring system or how best to get best results, oh  well! I still shoot both and will shoot whatever I can when I wish. Score it any way you all wish I will still be there.

Back 40, Most opinions I hear are that cowboys aren't interested in shooting wild bunch because of 'that new-fangled 1911' or don't want to learn a different gun-handling technique (1911 or 97/12) or like the big and close cowboy game or don't want to commit resources to the 1911 and 97/12.  They are comfortable with their level of expertise and accomplishment in cowboy. Rightfully so and congratulations to them!  Then there are those who welcome another challenge with a drive to master wild bunch, or at least become a contender in it.  Oklahoma Dee and Alamo Andy and Shootin Iron Miller (Texas) come to mind about mastering the WB game. 

IMO the scoring system isn't the issue about participation in WBAS.  The presentation IS an issue for many accustomed to time, misses, and Ps and who want to analyze performance on any one stage, but i don't hear it as a deal breaker.  Maybe my hearing impairment has blocked those messages.  Software can allow presentation of both points and time-based scores so why not do it?  Looking at the  WB scores from WR and EoT presented only as stage points indicates the order of finish, not the cause of high or low points which is of interest to many but not all.

Do cowboy shooters use a sixgun or a semiauto for self-defense?  For those whose carry weapon is a semiauto pistol, WB  offers one way to become proficient in handling (mag changes, clearing stoppages, etc) and marksmanship. 

I'd like to see WB grow in participation, and my sense is that WB has grown, thanks to efforts by you and many others including the match and side match innovations by Dusty Boddams, Goatneck Clem, and others.  Is that Doughboy category fun?  Yep.  But to each their own game!

Personally, If it goes bang, and I have ammo for it, I'll shoot it whether it revolves or slides, levers or cranks, slides or breaks open. I haven't met a firearm that I didn't enjoy shooting. So do I prefer WB to Cowboy?  Yep.  Would I prefer to crank a bolt rifle instead of operating a lever rifle? Yep.  Would I enjoy wild bunch as much while shooting a plastic pistol?  Yep!  But there is just something about John Brownings creation of 1911 that turns me on more than other firearms, even the classic 1860 Army or 1861 Navy (or Open Tops and Conversions).

If that is the object of moving to total time, to increase attendance.  I think not.

I see it, as the way Wild Bunch is billed, as a side match at most annuals, most state matches, and Regional s.  Only the Nationals (10 stages) and World match's (12 stages) does one see worth in going.  Even then it is a physical and mental drain if one is entered in to both events.  Due to the back to back shooting, maybe one day's rest to prepare.

Another drawback to shooting the Nationals and World is that the Wild Bunch is shot right before the Cowboy match.  How many folks really have 10 days to 2 weeks to spend on food, motels, traveling expenses to do that?  Not many.  Only the retired RV sector and those few that have the desire to do so.  Which may be dwindling.

Separate out the scheduling of Wild Bunch and Cowboy Action Shooting, put distance between matches and that may help attendance.  Then again, maybe not. 

I had always heard, change a loosing game.  If it is perceived that Wild Bunch is in a slow death spiral....Make it worth it to a new shooter to investigate and try it.

• 2 weeks later...
Wew, I think Grouchy nailed it.  These days (well before the canceled matches) a bit more fun with WB than Cowboy.  Not sure much else to encouage more to give it a go. The local club pretty much is flexible say on caliber, pistol and rifle, same club runs a cowboy match and allows a category for use of WB guns.  I think msybe got one or two possible recruits out of 60 or so people.  So pretty well convinced that if a person is interested they will come.  All I can do is say give it a try, plenty of folks to help you out.  As for me being a cowboy gunfighter I was just starting to try the 1911 one handed.  Boy oh boy I was slow but omg did I have a lot of fun.  Well to me life is getting too short not to try something new.