The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

45 ACP: Is a LEE TL-452-230-2R a decent Wild Bunch bullet.

Big Boston

The plan is to begin shooting Wild Bunch. To that end i just bought my first 1911, a Springfield Defender MilSpec.

I have never owned a 45 anything, and I'd like to get myself a mold. I don't mind the LEE 6 cavity, they do a decent job. I'd like to stick with sizing and lubing with my 4500, and I'm thinking that the TL grooves will probably hold enough grease to get the job done, without leading.

Does anyone have any experience with this bullet?

KBmTlIhm.jpg

BB

Big Boston,

That is the mold I use exclusively for my 1911. Literally cast and shot 1000s of them. I'm on my second set of molds. I'll run three of 6 cavity molds at a time so two are cooling while one is being filled.

I shoot paper so I can recover the bullets from my private range. And, a local tire store saves wheel weights for me so I have continuous supply. If you have to buy your lead, I don't think it is economical.

I like the tumble lube molds so I don't have to size. I buy generic Lube-Alox on eBay, $20 a quart shipped. Same stuff but much cheaper than the Lee brand. Almost no leading, my pistol will gum up and stop running before the barrel will lead up.

JFN

• 3 years later...

Question for JFN or anyone else who casts, I have this mold but when casting bullets with it I seem to get bullets that weigh 243-245 grains, not 230.  To get them into the 230 range I have to add linotype at a ratio of 1 pound lino to 4 pounds lead.  I have debated just shooting the heavier bullets as less fps is needed to meet power factor thus less recoil.  I am powder coating these so no worries about leading.  Thoughts? 

Soft alloys are denser than hard ones (with lino added - it's the additional antimony that lightens the density), so that's why you have heavy weights with soft alloys.  

If you are not leading and the loads feed reliably, continue using your soft alloy.   No need to find linotype to add, as it just runs up the cost.

good luck, GJ

Do the math if you want to know it precisely.   Power Factor = Muzzle Velocity (fps) X Bullet Weight (grains) / 1000

Difference between a 230 grain bullet and a 245 grain bullet won't let you drop the velocity very much.  MAYBE you will feel a little less recoil.   But I doubt it.  Shoot a lot what you will practice and fire matches with, and it won't matter much.  Even if you are shooting in the top 10% of the "class."

good luck, GJ

My bullets cast from clip on wheel weights drop at 228 to 230 gr bullets. I sort out stick on wheel weights since they are generally pure lead. I mix them 3 lb to 1 lb Linotype. I only powder coat 9 mm since I couldn't get the tumble lube 9 mm bullets to stop leading. I tumble lube the 45 and .41 bullets because it is quick and easy.

JFN

Edited by J. Frank Norfleet
  • Like 1