The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

BAMM 303 Enfield ammo...?

I have a beautiful Longbranch i'd love to get to a BAMM match...but while i load my own SASS ammo, im currently just not up to cast/swaged/sized /lubed lead in rifle calibers.ANY sources out here foe either commercial lead or loads for this? Also...i guess it would depend on the range  and match stages, but do any clubs ever shoot these with mil. ball on paper rather than metal tgts? Thanks in advance, Doc Lawson, Peru,NY

It more depends on the range rules.  Anyway Buffallo Arms hasbullets in 303 British the lead variety.

I know at 4 corners regional limit on velocity was 1600fps.  The range hoping to get the owner to let us do BAMM will probably require the same.  If that is the case you will have to do some load development.

Howdy Doc, welcome to BAMM! My 303 rifles shoot lead very well. A .312-.313 bullet is  what you need and Norm Purcella makes a g.c. Hitek coated bullet in that diameter. His phone number is 575-703-0391. Around 1500fps seems to be the sweet spot on the old battle rifles. I’ve heard of some clubs using paper and Fmj  ammo and if that’s it or no BAMM time to get out the paper! Several cardboard idpa  targets could be setup at various distance and shot at speed. The pain would be taping the targets between shooters.  Dusty Boddams

• 2 weeks later...

We are currently shooting "what ya brung" but Australia is probably a bit far to go just to shoot jacketed!  LOL   

Dusty!  A QUESTION!  Are you using the "70% case capacity Trail Boss " loads with lead in these rifles???

• 1 year later...
Many years ago I shot WW2 re-enactor matches with an Enfield using reloads. One piece of advice I would give any Enfield shooter is buy a broken case extractor from Brownells and during timed matches, make sure that is readily accessible.