The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Model 12 problem

buck wilder

Need help from the forum. When I fire the first round it locks up tight. Have tried various shoshell  brands to no avail. Had two gunsmiths look at one gave up the other charged me$ and said it was fixed but it Still locks up. Worked great first couple of years and then it started. It works dry firing and with dummy rounds. Hope someone has the fix for this it's not good🤷🏻‍♂️The recoil should unlock it and then a little push forward should should unlock it but it won't move.

You need to provide more info for us to be able to guess (remotely, without looking) what 2 gunsmiths couldn't determine when they had the gun in hands!

Yes, recoil of firing a shell should unlock action - without needing any manual forward push by you. 

Let's start with the age of your Model 12.  Do you know how old it is, roughly?  Does it have a 2 3/4" or a 3" (heavy duck gun) chamber?

Have you tried brass base hulls like Winchester AA or Remington STS or Federal target loads?  Or only the steel base hulls (anything cheap or foreign is often steel base). 

Does the action open (after firing a shell) when you use the slide release button behind the trigger guard?  If it won't open with slide release, you can be sure the action slide lock is not working.

The slide lock mechanism is part of the trigger group.  Disassembly of the trigger group is not advised for someone without training on it!  But you can take the trigger group out and hose it down with a good solvent and air pressure.  Very lightly relube with spray gun oil and reinstall and see if that clears up the lock releasing.

Good luck, GJ

Here's more info Garrison Joe. 1954 production with 23/4 chamber. I have used win. Light target,win. Aaauper sport sporting clays and rem. STS light target shotshells. After firing I can't unlock the action with the slide release because it is stuck and doesn't return to the down position so I can manipulate it to unlock it. I actually have to strike the butt plate on a hard surface to unlock it. Thanks for the help Buck🤠

BW, you might take that gun apart and feel up in the cut of the frame where the bolt locks and also on the top hump of the bolt where it locks into frame. Could be some metal burrs or peening  on the back lip of the bolt hump. If so smooth it out careful to not take of any material other than what it takes to get rid of the burr. Dusty B

[glow=green,2,300]I can't unlock the action with the slide release because it is stuck and doesn't return to the down position[/glow]

Yep, look for gunk in the trigger group or where the hook for slide lock fits up into the rest of the action.  If it was working fine, and started locking tight, dirty gun is first and cheap thing to look for.  Worn parts - next.  Burrs - unless the fitting of parts at factory was horrible, it's not common they interfere after years of the gun working well.

Good luck, GJ

After firing I can't unlock the action with the slide release because it is stuck and doesn't return to the down position so I can manipulate it to unlock it.

When the action is "unlocked", the release button is in the 'up' position -- what I believe you are describing.  The fact that the action release is releasing (there's some grammar for ya') means it is working properly.  And, you should not expect it to "fall" back down until the action is cycled and the hammer cocked, since it must 'ride' over the hammer to return to its down position.

So, that seems to point to the recommendations that Dusty and GJ have offered -- something is peened up, on the roof of the action where the bolt locks up.  Or, of course, on the surface of the bolt hump that goes up into that recess.  Shine a light up, onto the roof of the action and on the rear surface of the hump on the back of the bolt to look for galling and/or burrs.  This idea seems to be further supported by your report that it doesn't 'bind up' when dry firing.

P.S., FYI, none of my model 12's like 2 3/4 or 3 dram loads.  They all seem to run best with "Featherlites" (a.k.a. Low Noise, Low Recoil).  So, that's all I ever use in them.