The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Extra shotshell in mag pouch?

Abilene

I'm guessing this is one of those things that if you have to ask, it's not allowed.  But I'll ask anyway, as the Handbook doesn't spell it out as not legal.  Can I carry (and use, if needed) a spare shotshell in an extra mag pouch?  It could be thought of as a not very form-fitting (but quite useful) shotshell loop.  A vest pocket could be used in cooler weather, but not in the summer!  Thanks

Abilene, it is MY opinion that while it would be legal to carry it to the line that way and stage  for possible use, see the top of page 15 in the handbook, it would not be legal to use it from the mag pouch during the stage.

That being said, why would you give up a mag pouch for one shotgun shell? Carry a full load of magazine and the shell in a pocket to stage as necessary.

Why use the mag pouch?  Because I have six of them  :)

Since reloads can be staged, that would certainly make sense, but remembering to always stage that one shell at the shotgun shooting location might be stretching the old brain cells, especially if I practically never need that shell.  Haven't needed one yet, but then I haven't shot a huge number of WB matches.  My two '97's (Chinese and Winchester) both have weak ejection when shooting CAS but so far have ejected okay when stoked.

Thanks for the reply.

Okay, I guess this begs another question I've wondered about (both CAS and WB).  Can a round or shotshell for a reload that is carried illegally (such as the shotshell in mag pouch example) be pulled out of the mag pouch on the clock, then set down on a prop, then picked back up and used?  Or is there some verbiage I might have missed that says you MUST stage anything that is staged, BEFORE the buzzer goes off?

Abilene, per current rules in both sports, yes, if you can safely correct the situation while on the clock to avoid penalties, you may do so. However, for your original question, the simplest, safest and smartest thing would be to get a cartridge slide from one of the fine leathermakers that support this sport that holds a couple rifle rounds and 2-4 shotshells and avoid the confusion at a match.

Or I could wear my canvas shotshell belt with 2 shells in it.  ;D

I do keep a rifle reload or two in my gunbelt behind the strongside gun.  But I haven't jacked out a round in like 18 years (must not be going fast enough), and 10+1 stages usually allow staging it.  So if I ever need to start going to the belt, I'm gonna have to practice.

Thanks for the info on being able to correct on the clock.  A few weeks ago at a CAS match I was the first shooter and both I and the TO (and everyone else) forgot the instructions that said to stage the handguns, so I could have done it when I got to that position.

Okay, I guess this begs another question I've wondered about (both CAS and WB).  Can a round or shotshell for a reload that is carried illegally (such as the shotshell in mag pouch example) be pulled out of the mag pouch on the clock, then set down on a prop, then picked back up and used?  Or is there some verbiage I might have missed that says you MUST stage anything that is staged, BEFORE the buzzer goes off?

This is the rule:

• Use of “illegally acquired” ammunition. (i.e., NOT carried to the line/staged by the

shooter in an approved manner)

• Loose ammunition (i.e., ammunition not in magazines) required for reloads during the course of any stage must be carried on the shooter’s person in a bandoleer, cartridge/shot shell belt loop, pouch, holster, or pocket or be safely staged. Rifle and pistol ammunition may not be carried in a shot shell loop. No ammunition may be carried in the mouth, ears, nose, cleavage, or any other bodily orifice.

This is the rule:

• Use of “illegally acquired” ammunition. (i.e., NOT carried to the line/staged by the

shooter in an approved manner)

• Loose ammunition (i.e., ammunition not in magazines) required for reloads during the course of any stage must be carried on the shooter’s person in a bandoleer, cartridge/shot shell belt loop, pouch, holster, or pocket or be safely staged. Rifle and pistol ammunition may not be carried in a shot shell loop. No ammunition may be carried in the mouth, ears, nose, cleavage, or any other bodily orifice.

So if you carry it to the line in an unapproved manner it is "illegally acquired" ammunition. If you stage it before the buzzer you can probably get away with it.

According to that rule a shotshell may be carried in a mag pouch. It only says you cannot carrie rifle or pistol ammo in a shotshell loop.

kR

I think if you check with who ever is the final work for WB you will be wrong about that. They don't let you carry a pistol or rifle round in a shotgun loop, why would they let you put a shot shell in a mag loop (He is not asking about carrying it is a pouch/bag he is wanting to carry it in a mag loop)?

I think if you check with who ever is the final work for WB you will be wrong about that. They don't let you carry a pistol or rifle round in a shotgun loop, why would they let you put a shot shell in a mag loop (He is not asking about carrying it is a pouch/bag he is wanting to carry it in a mag loop)?

I believe in the first and third reply, those with the final word on WBAS rules answered the question. Happy Jack, I think we found a few more rules we can write out of the handbook next year.

I believe in the first and third reply, those with the final word on WBAS rules answered the question. Happy Jack, I think we found a few more rules we can write out of the handbook next year.

OK, so you are on the rules committee. I am just trying to get this straight that this rule - • Loose ammunition (i.e., ammunition not in magazines) required for reloads during the course of any stage must be carried on the shooter’s person in a bandoleer, cartridge/shot shell belt loop, pouch, holster, or pocket or be safely staged. Rifle and pistol ammunition may not be carried in a shot shell loop. No ammunition may be carried in the mouth, ears, nose, cleavage, or any other bodily orifice. - allows you to carry a shot shell in your mag loop and if you are shooting and you stage it you can then use it and it is not Illegal Ammunition?

I am asking because I am a Territorial Govenor and I need to be able to explain this to my club.

A couple of nuisances are involved in the OP question.  The rule concerning ammunition REQUIRED for reloads has been quoted by Flash.  However as I read the OP it relates to ammunition that may be used because of dropping, ejecting, etc. and not picking up that round but using the one carried to the line as a replacement. I consider the OP question to fall under the new rule concerning staging ammunition in bullet point 2 on page 15. A couple of things to consider when using this rule in the VERY unusual circumstance in the OP: #1 The reason for the mag pouch is because the shooter doesn't have enough of the correct pouches or other listed items to carry the ammunition as listed in the normal rule. #2 the ammunition must be staged before use. #3. To stage it you must place it down, remove your hand from it, and then pick it up for use.

The reason for this new guideline is because sometimes shooters don't have enough pouches, loops, etc. and they need to stage additional ammunition. In the past just carrying it in your hand, tucking it in your belt, etc. made it illegally carried to the line. There is no reason to penalize a shooter for bringing their extra ammo to the line as long as the method for carrying it is safe.