The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Enlighten me about the Krag Jorgensen rifle

lostvaquero

Howdy LV. Krags are great rifles,legal for BAMM,accurate and smooth. Good sights. The draw back——- is the side opening lunch box, cartridges fed in one at a time without a stripper clip. The perceived advantage in real life would be the rifle can be topped off while still in battery and ready to fire. The krag action is said to not be as strong as the mausers due to the number of lugs and placement but are plenty strong enough for factory  loads or less. I have a 30-40 and use .310 lead bullets . I think it was Norway used the 6.5x55 in the 1894 and 1912 krags. Neat old rifle. I think it would be a lot of fun for BAMM but I think seeing one in the winners circle would be a rarity. Dusty Boddams

Hey they are a lot of fun and smooth as glass! I know a competitor that uses one and he grabs 5 off his prairie belt ,has the cartridges held between his thumb and first finger  drops them in and he is fast with it. Like the old joke how do you get to Carnegie hall—— practice. Main thing is to have fun with it and if it’s got a good bore it is shocking how good they shoot. Dusty

Another way to load a .30-40 Krag action (like Springfield) is to have a .303 Enfield stripper clip loaded with 5 rounds, and strip conventionally down top of action.  Takes practice.

A 1898 (+ or -) vintage Krag has a weak action as it is a VERY early bolt action.  Limit loads to about 40,000 PSI as per good loading manuals.

They have a reputation of being accurate if barrel still in good shape.  And CMP will rebarrel with a Criterion target-quality barrel of original profile if you can wait for them to get to it (6 months waiting for a recent rebarrel request I got on waiting list for).

Good luck, GJ

Another way to load a .30-40 Krag action (like Springfield) is to have a .303 Enfield stripper clip loaded with 5 rounds, and strip conventionally down top of action.  Takes practice.

A 1898 (+ or -) vintage Krag has a weak action as it is a VERY early bolt action.  Limit loads to about 40,000 PSI as per good loading manuals.

They have a reputation of being accurate if barrel still in good shape.  And CMP will rebarrel with a Criterion target-quality barrel of original profile if you can wait for them to get to it (6 months waiting for a recent rebarrel request I got on waiting list for).

GJ, I’ve been trying to figure out how to put rounds down the top of a krag and it appears to be physically impossible. Would you show the unwashed how it’s done? A video would really help a lot. Dusty Boddams

Good luck, GJ

Well, Dusty, I was talking from research I had been doing trying to get a Krag ready.  Guess a bunch of it was nonsense.  Thanks for pointing it out.

The best way back in the day for loading a Krag quickly was referring to the Parkhurst attachment to the Krag.

http://www.historicalfirearms.info/post/157961456959/parkhurst-clip-loading-device-in-1892-the-us/embed

Well, if you have one of the 100 or so guns so modified with a Parkhurst device, and the special charger clips, you could load down through the magazine.  20 rounds of fire in 60 seconds was possible by service members in 1901 testing.

Otherwise, yeah, there are several hand-made charger designs that are found on the web.  Some work pretty well, they say.

Here's one video using a standard Mosin Nagant charger, pressing rounds through the loading gate.

But you're right, looking at my gun, nothing will go into the mag down through the top of the receiver.  Oops.

Good luck, GJ

I've seen a shooter use a polymer stripper clip for a K31 to load his Krag.  The stripper clip has a large cutout for the thumb to push the cartridges from the clip into the box.  The polymer allows for a speedy drop of cartridges as the cartridges are held in the clip at two points - toward the case head and near the neck.

http://www.northridgeinc.com/product-p/sc-4-1.htm

These polymer clips are much more sturdy than the surplus OEM cardboard clips.

Stripper_Clip_K31.jpg.ca07312a17866979f14818ece9927e4b.jpg

Ok all in the quest for knowledge and very little experimentation I checked out a couple of ways. Garrison Joe video of the Russian stripper clip is true, it works. Think of it more as a guide to place the 5 rounds. It’s pretty fast. I think with practice it could be competitive.

Grouchy Spike ,I’ve got one of the poly somewhere but all I had handy was originals,the rim wouldn’t slide in and with that cardboard stuff there would be no forcing it. I could see how the poly might work.  Interesting stuff! Dusty B

A couple more questions.  The rifle I am looking at is a Krag Jorgensen sporter rifle.  It has been redone and rebuled.  Also the sights have been changed out with aperture rear sight and globe front sight.  Has it been changed too much to be legal for BAMM?  I believe the barrel has been redone as well since it looks very shiny with good rifling visible and no pitting.

If the rifle was originally built as a sporting rifle, it's not a military rifle (in as-issued wartime condition) by BAM rules, and is not legal to shoot in BAM matches. 

Nor would one of the sporting and target models of the Springfield 1903 that the armory built after WW I be a legal gun to use.

Good luck, GJ

I think it was altered after the fact.  Thanks I am taking a pass on the rifle then. 

There is also a carbine I have looked at but it looks a bit rough.

A rifle that is a bit pricey.  The wood and blueing have all been redone.  Bore looks alright.

Is the carbine legal?

I know there are a bunch of other BAMM rifles out there but kind have fallen in love with the Krag with its somewhat oddball loading mechanism.