The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Traditional front sight change on rock island mil spec / swapping out trigger

ethancallahan

I am thinking of replacing my rock island mil spec gun front sight on my traditional category pistol.  I was thinking of having someone mill out a dovetail groove and put a new taller/wider sight.  I am kinda tired of the small little bump of a sight that came with it.

I am going change out the back sight also to use either a 10-8 National Match or Harrison Design 003.

1.  What height/width front sight is suggested with these rear sights?

2.  What width/height front sights are legal?

3.  Does anyone have links to where to find traditional legal dovetailed front sights?

4.  Any suggestions to how much to spend on getting a dovetail cut put in the slide?  I saw novak was 50.00.  Is anyone cheaper or is

that the going rate?

5.  Any suggestions about swapping out the trigger to a smooth faced one for a rock island mil spec gun?  any links to find some?  is it legal to go a smoothed faced one instead of the ridged one that came with it?

1.  What height/width front sight is suggested with these rear sights?

A width that leaves a little (or even a lot) of white when you look at it through the rear sight.  For many folks, 0.140" width is about right with a 0.140" wide rear sight slot.  Height - file down until you get your favorite load to hit center at about 15 yards.

2.  What width/height front sights are legal?

Any, only the list of allowable solid color is specified, as well as the prohibition of using outlines, figures, dots, fiber or glow in the dark.

3.  Does anyone have links to where to find traditional legal dovetailed front sights?

Brownells, Midway, Brown, Wilson, etc.

I had Mars Guns make one for me.

http://marsguns.com/

4.  Any suggestions to how much to spend on getting a dovetail cut put in the slide?  I saw novak was 50.00.  Is anyone cheaper or is

that the going rate?

About the going price.  Mars has a price list for their work

5.  Any suggestions about swapping out the trigger to a smooth faced one for a rock island mil spec gun?  any links to find some?  is it legal to go a smoothed faced one instead of the ridged one that came with it?

Yep,  perfectly legal.  Don't install a target trigger with lightening holes bored through.  A trigger stop is ok.

Brownells, Midway, Brown, Wilson, etc

I REALLY hope that the big front sight gets WELL locked into the mortise on your slide by the person doing the installation.  It is RARE that those big heavy replacement front sights can be held securely by that same tenon design that worked for the little nubby original sight. 

A dovetail for the big front sight is used by almost all custom 1911 builders because it is much more secure and easily replaced if damaged.