The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

What is the interest in BAM Matches?

Grouchy Spike

What is the interest in Bolt Action Military Matches nowadays?  It's grown from it's inception at the Comanche Valley Vigilantes to other clubs and has been included in EOT schedules.  CVV runs frequent BAM matches, likely the most of any club.

Which clubs are hosting Bolt Action Military Matches?

Are these side matches after a Cowboy Main Match?  Included in annual match?  Included in Wild Bunch match?

How many shooters are participating?  How many rounds in a typical BAM match?

Is there a limit on velocity, bullet hardness, or power factor?

Is any club using BAM rifles during a WB match in lieu of the lever rifle, as a separate category?

At the Texican Rangers in Comfort TX, BAMM started up in 2015 and is usually conducted as a side match after the Saturday Main Match and as a side match in the annual Comancheria Days match.  It has grown from three hardcore shooters to as many as nine in monthly matches.  The monthly course of fire includes at least three scenarios, two with 10 rounds, one with 15 rounds, for a total of 35 rounds.  If time permits the shooters who pack handgun/shotgun run a separate scenario of 10 rounds with a Model 1911/1917 for ten rounds and a Model 97/12 for four rounds.  This scenario really stirs up the adrenalin!

Target distance ranges from 55 yards to 125 yards. Six targets are large Cody Dixon targets (24")  between 55 and 65 yards, and the remaining 11 targets are 16" targets from 75 to 125 yards.

For the 5th Saturday monthly Wild Bunch match I'd like to see another category where the BAM rifle is used instead of a cowboy lever rifle, as the Cody Dixon category is allowed at monthly cowboy matches using a single shot or lever rifle in 38-55, 45-70, etc.

Tell us about your BAM game!

Mine is non-existent. Up here in the Big Empty I am about the onlyiest one shooting WB. Every 5th Sat is supposed to be a WB match with CAS as ancillary. Usually I am the only one who shows up with a 1911. Zero interest in BAMM. Only time I get to shoot BAMM is at CVV at the state WBAS match. When BAMM first started sporters were allowed. BIG mistake to no longer let them shoot. If a guy shows with a sporter he should be encouraged not forbidden from playing. Even if it is for no score, what is the harm of a cut down stock anyways? Oops fergot to say -- pet peeve alert

I will admit that in the beginning I was not a big fan of BAMM. 5 rounds on 3 targets (Nevada sweep) then reload and do it again for time was just another "speed side match". As matches have grown into something else, longer ranges, more interesting target sequences I think it is a good thing for WBAS. It also separates us more from CAS. I do think the rules as written are fine. I had some misgivings about them also in the beginning but now I think keeping it to true "battle rifles as issued" is closer to the original concept of WBAS.

Lone Dog, If it were my LOCAL match and someone showed up with a sporter stocked rifle I would let them shoot for no score. (under the MDQ for scoring with an illegal or illegally modified firearm rule)

Other MD's may feel differently.

I'm a dedicated levergunner... and feel I'm at no disadvantage (or advantage) using a rifle caliber levergun.  Been looking for a correct bolt gun to compete... hate borrowing other people's stuff... but, opening it up to period leverguns (no mods but sights... and I mean NONE), as well as military bolt guns WILL increase participation.

GS, I agree the old battle rifles seem to increase quickly in price. I still have my mosin carbine it cost 65.00 but the only reason it was so high is it included ammo! Still even with prices what they are it represents a bargain as for as bamm goes. Any other match/side match weaponry is more expensive. I have some of the 179.00 yugo 24/47 and am amazed at how good they are of course now these are 350.00 but still pretty cheap compared to others. BAMM is alive and well at cvv we shoot at least 2 stages after main match sometimes 3 or 4. We always try and keep it mixed up with movement, varied distances and round count. As an example we have shot as few as 5 rounds. Rifle empty on table shooter 6' away ATB shooter retrieves and charges rifle shoots 2 targets moves and shoots 3 more. Sometimes 10 and as high as 15 rounds with a lot of different stages. BAMM has also taken off and fired the imagination of shooters in Oklahoma ! Hondo Tweed and his rough riders have there own day just for bamm and 45 auto I think it's the fourth weekend on Saturday. We shoot only lead at Ormsby ranch and its up to the shooters as to hardness,speed and there is no power factor. It seems to me from shooting this game and the amount of folks I talk with that all the lead shooters run 15 to 1700 fps. This results in a light  kicking very pleasant round that about equals a 357 magnum out of a rifle. It also enables shooting at mild steel without destroying targets. You can still dimple them at 60 yards but won't crater them usually. Try that with factory jacket and you will be impressed in the old rifles power. BAMM as my  original concept was as a stand alone shooting venue it has its own rule book with extended category's including a lot of different rifles sporterized,duffle cut,garand ,lever action to include 95 Winchester and 99 savage. Bruce Jarrett and myself started out experimenting on ways to shoot this because we both have had mil spec bolt guns for many years and wanted a competition that represented battle , balancing speed and accuracy . Goatneck went wild when he saw it and became its champion he has promoted it and made it known. Evil Roy has always been very enthusiastic since first seeing it and is a big promoter of it. Since it is a side match of wild bunch the rule book  needed shrinking down to a minimum so folks wanting to shoot this match could know what to expect and how to play. The course of fire is up to the MD. As is round count etc. At a monthly match  just as HJ said don't turn them away for wrong equipment let them shoot for fun. Also if you have 2 or more of the wrong rifles let them shoot against each other. If you have 2  rifle caliber lever actioneers then it should be called LAM. Important thing to remember is any subcategory is its own match levers Never shoot against bolts.

bolts never shoot against  Garands. At monthly matches or stand alone matches there many great ways to have a lot of fun. I'm going to a match before long that will have about 50 yards of movement with up to 25 shot strings plus some pistol thrown in.different yes BAMM yes!              Dusty Boddams

SJC, That would be correct at a stand alone BAM match under its rules or if your MD allowed it at your monthly wild bunch match. This wouldn't be allowed at a state level and above per wbas rules. I can see no reason not to allow it at a monthly , levers shoot against levers they are using the BAMM stage or stages. The more shooters we get involved in our game even if for a side match,some will buy bolt guns and some will become wbas competitors and some will do both.  ;D Dusty

Price ain't necessarily the issue, simply finding one.  I'd buy a junker (at junker prices) & fix it, but seems the ones I see, they want "new, unfired" prices for junk.

Have you tried looking at Ammo Depot? I haven't been in there in a while, but he used to have many surplus Nagants and Mausers of various sorts. Just down the road from you a half mile off 30, between Rockwall and Greenville.

http://www.ammodepottx.com/firearms--optics.html#sthash.TQz0A1kJ.dpbs

Price ain't necessarily the issue, simply finding one.  I'd buy a junker (at junker prices) & fix it, but seems the ones I see, they want "new, unfired" prices for junk.

Have you tried looking at Ammo Depot? I haven't been in there in a while, but he used to have many surplus Nagants and Mausers of various sorts. Just down the road from you a half mile off 30, between Rockwall and Greenville.

http://www.ammodepottx.com/firearms--optics.html#sthash.TQz0A1kJ.dpbs

Really lookin' for an 03A3, and, yea, I stop in there from time to time...  BTW, have missed seein' you the past few shoots. 

• 3 weeks later...
Y'know I am sure there are. I think there is tremendous potential for BAMM to become a stand alone sport. After all there are several million guys who have Moisins and Mausers and would love to break 'em out and shoot 'em. Of course it will take venues that allow surplus ammo to be used as those guys are just NOT gonna go to the trouble of loading special lead pill loads like we do