The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

IAC Left Extractor Pin Removal

JJ

Hi All . . . .

I have a problem for some of you machinists/smiths.

A few months ago I ordered a new IAC 97 scattergun. It was a great gun right out of the box. As a matter of fact I used it so much over the past couple of months that I now find the left extractor now needs replacement.

I was told informed that the left extractor for the Winchester 97 was a duplicate replacement for the IAC 97. That was easy to order.

A couple of weeks ago I replaced the left extractor on my Winchester. The extractor pin was easy to move down its channel for extractor replacement.

I am now attempting to replace the left extractor on the IAC 97 but am having a dickens of a time removing the pin. No matter how hard I thump on the pin it will NOT budge. I even built a jig out of maple to hold the bolt so it would not move when I was thumping on the pin. That little pin could have been welded in by some happy go lucky Chinese fella at the plant for all I know. It doesn't look like it but it sure seems that way !!

Now I am at a loss. Is my only option left to drill out the pin and hope I can find a replacement pin (where)??  If I drill out the pin would a 1/16" carbide bit do the trick so the pin could be driven out or does the bit need to be bigger?

Any help anyone could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully submitted,

J.J.

High Plains Drifters

Roop County Cowboys

Fernley NV