The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Bragging about my Ruger SR1911

Church Key

Was shooting a WB match at Thurmont MD today and stated to several folks that my Ruger is the best 1911 I've ever owned. Have had several Colts, Springfield's and a Norinco; prefer the Ruger over all of them. Shooting it the third stage when my front sight sheared off the dovetail base. Need to keep my big mouth shut.

Slide off to Ruger on Monday; will use the Norinco as backup. Need to remember the engineering rule about the "perverse nature of inanimate objects."

You will be real lucky if the Ruger replacement front sight stays on.  Per reported experience from several pards here, and in other 1911 forums, they seem to have gotten a big batch of sights that were made from bad steel - perhaps sintered?.

Big, tall, heavy front sights just put too much stress on that sight Ruger is still using.

Recommend you have a tool steel front sight dovetailed and pinned into the slide when the factory repair fails.

Good luck, GJ

• 3 weeks later...
Ruger gave me two options: Send the entire gun back at their expense or have them send me a new sight. I got a new sight. They admitted the earlier sights were prone to breaking; have been redesigned. Tried to install it myself with no luck. Severely dented a brass punch. My local gunsmith went through an aluminum, brass and finally a steel punch. Got the new sight installed for $10; well worth it. Life is better now.

Tried to remove the old sight; no luck. Ended up denting a brass punch. My local shop removed it after using aluminum, brass, and finally steel punches. They had to spend some time fitting the new sight as it was slightly oversize.

My advice if it happens to you, is to send the gun back to Ruger on their dime.

Church Key