The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Squib in 1911

August West

With no cylinder gap, that 1911 is sure quiet when a squib occurs.  Had the headphones on -- and turned up -- but the squibb didn't sound much louder than a normal hammer fall.  Glad the shooter stopped on his own -- I sure wasn't any help in the situation as the R/O.

Shooter said he was using magnum primers.  But, the ball didn't get very far down the barrel.

Be careful out there (though, it's me that needs that advice).

It was a new pistol and I was having all kinds of trouble with it! plus I was reloading my own ammo with a new press, the gun shoots great but ammo issues with the new press and lack of break-in etc.. lead to my issue, I think the gun cycled  partially, not sure I have never had a squib before! for my cowboy guns I load nothing but black so kind of hard to get a squib. with this new fad of smokeless I gotta be extra carful! just glad no one got hurt.

Rafe

About three years ago we had a WB mini match at our cowboy annual .I was the T/O as the shooter was firing his pistol and it must have been the third round being fired that didn't sound right. Before I could say anything the shooter shot the next round and bang the pistol locked up.  When he finally got the pistol apart  ( which by the way it was being shot for the first time) the barrel had a horizontal crack about 1 1/2 in. long closer to the bushing end. There was nothing in the barrel. The question is it possible  that a squib that stops at the end of the barrel  allow the pistol to feed the next round and to fire? Is it also possible that the barrel could have had a defect?  I would say it was less than 25 rounds that were shot before the stopage.

Nawlins[/size]

About three years ago we had a WB mini match at our cowboy annual .I was the T/O as the shooter was firing his pistol and it must have been the third round being fired that didn't sound right. Before I could say anything the shooter shot the next round and bang the pistol locked up.  When he finally got the pistol apart  ( which by the way it was being shot for the first time) the barrel had a horizontal crack about 1 1/2 in. long closer to the bushing end. There was nothing in the barrel. The question is it possible  that a squib that stops at the end of the barrel  allow the pistol to feed the next round and to fire? Is it also possible that the barrel could have had a defect?  I would say it was less than 25 rounds that were shot before the stoppage.

Nawlins

Almost certainly that was caused by a squib that, as you surmised, stuck the bullet most of the way into the barrel.  Mag primers or a slug that is groove diameter or slightly under sized makes this more likely.  1911 barrels are pretty thin out by the muzzle. 

Overpressure (excessive loads) in 1911's more often splits open the chamber (have seen a couple of shooters do that, too).  But a stuck slug - bulges or splits the barrel closer to where the squibbed slug stuck.

Stopping a shooter who has just encountered a squib in the 1911 is VITALLY important to prevent gun damage. 

I believe more TO's need to be thinking "call the squib if there is one" right before they touch the timer button.  The infrequent squibs (seems I save my year's allotment so they appear at EOT) that I get, I call on myself, rather than the TO yelling it out.

Good luck, GJ