The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

How was the wild bunch shoot at EOT

Marshal5

Interested to know how the match was. Any different than past years. I understand that there were five clean shooters which is the most ever. 
who were the winners in their respective categories?

wonder how many new shooters and how many were shooting 38 rifles.

I rather liked the match.  The target distances were reasonable, with a trio of rifle targets that were a legit challenge... Both the target distances and the target spreads were greater than cowboy matches, and for all the concern about "cowboying my WB Match..." only five shooters shot it clean.  A couple of the stage descriptions were rather complex, and there were two stages which allowed/encouraged, running with two guns simultaneously - in the middle of a shooting string.  Not too crazy about that.

I thought it was quite encouraging, especially given the shroud of mystery surrounding the architect of the match.  As always, the all KD stage was popular, and there were a few stages which allowed the pistol to be employed in lieu of the rifle, which I really like.

I have to admit, most of the in-it-to-win-it shooters used .38/.357 rifles, although distances and knockdowns kept that from being as big an advantage as they might have hoped.  Everyone else shot what they had.  There were no SxS shooters on my posse, but I believe I did see at least 1 1887.  Good for them!

Removing the politics from the match, I liked it, and would give it a solid "B." And would be glad to shoot the likes of it again. 

Hope that's helpful!

Cheers,

FJT

• Thanks 3

I do know the top Traditional shooter, male or female, Lady Jane, won Lady Traditional using a .45 Colt rifle and did not feel the least hindered by it. Went head to head with Holy Terror in the Top Gun shoot off and came close behind her using one hand.

• Like 5

So possibly "the sky is falling" over .38's is mute, as Lady Jane just demonstrated.  Do you know what the top four shooters were using, as LJ finished 5th OA with a .45 colt?  I never thought the use of a .38 rifle would really change how a top grade 1911 shooter finished.  A huge congrats to Lady Jane.  

CC

Edited by Cardboard Cowboy

23 minutes ago, Cardboard Cowboy said:

So possibly "the ski is falling" over .38's is mute, as Lady Jane just demonstrated.  Do you know what the top four shooters were using, as LJ finished 5th OA with a .45 colt?  I never thought the use of a .38 rifle would really change how a top grade 1911 shooter finished.  A huge congrats to Lady Jane.  

CC

Holy Terror used a .38 I know, the others I’m not sure about but the rifle didn’t make a difference.