The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Temporary front strap grip enhancement

I'm shopping for a new Modern 1911, and the model I've mostly settled on does not have front strap checkering from the factory. I think I'd prefer to have the front strap checkered, so I'm looking at "drop in" solutions to test it out. Are products like the Wilson Combat checkered panels or skateboard tape (tucked under the grip panels) allowed under SASS rules? These are not "wrap around" grips.

Bonus question: For all you folks who are no longer sanctioned, would this solution be allowed as "front strap checkering" at your clubs for big matches?

DSC_0692.thumb.jpg.8b5b040d66a918db5f2171f8fcc68147.jpg12446-14267051.jpg.a951b2666c0f7b8b3c662433ecd1164a.jpg

Many years ago I brought this up to Texas Jack Morales and he said it was ILLEGAL,  HOWEVER, I don't think we officially addressed it in the rules.  With the new administration I have no idea officially, but I think it would be allowed. 

• Thanks 1

Common Parameters: Wrap around grips that cover a portion of the front strap are illegal.

1911 Pistol-Modern Category Modifications: Checkered front strap and trigger guard allowed. This means any type of checkering, stippling, and/or serrations are legal.

My understanding of these rules makes anything that you attach to enhance grip to the front strap would be illegal. Checkering, stippling, serrations that are cut into the front strap would be legal in the modern category.

CND,

Happy Jack's answer is the way I remember it being handled, no idea how it would be looked at today. Bogus does a great job, he's done one 1911 for me.

You may shoot that configuration in June's H3G match in California, I suspect it wouldn't be an issue for other non sanctioned clubs. 

Tully 

Edited by Tully Mars
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Abe E.S. Corpus said:

My 1911 is a Series 70 Gold Cup with vertical grooves on the front strap.  I have two folks in my area who checker 1911 frames.  Neither were willing to cross hatch the frame due I suppose to the depth of the factory grooves.

And the Colt serrations are a very odd spacing. Like 19 1/2 lines to an inch. Not 20 or 25 or 30. I have cut the front strap out, welded in a new one and checkered that.

• Thanks 1

On 1/29/2024 at 2:30 PM, Happy Jack said:

I guess since there is no longer a committee to settle nor is there a spokesman to say what the position is this it may be up to the WBAS TG's to settle. A sorry state.🤢

Once we can get a new WB ROC in place, this sort of clarification will fall under their purview. 

Thanks!
Misty