The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

1911 thumb safety

Some people shooting a 1911 pistol, have their thumb, accidentally flip the safety on while shooting.  It has never been a problem for me, as I am left handed, a recommended way to shoot a 1911 is to have your thumb on top of the safety while shooting, if flicking the safety on is a problem.  I would not think this would be a comfortable way to shoot, I would probably just get a new plunger assembly for my gun.

Yeah I posted this question on the SASS Wire and everybody says to put my thumb over the safety because that's how the IDPA guys do it. That is not comfortable to me at all. Some say it is a bad grip but if it was then why is my safety all of a sudden doing it now? I've shot 1911 matches before this and never had this happen. Not once did my Rock Island do this. Having a serrated safety hurts the ole thumb and affects performance. I've even thought about a smaller safety that would be hard to flip by accident.

• 2 weeks later...

Coyote,

I carried a Kimber TLE at work for years and used it for WB.  It was originally equipped with an extended safety which I had changed to a standard non extended style.  Since I retired I purchased a Remington R1 Carry and have changed it from the extended ambi safety to a standard style.  I have never had much of a problem having a safety actuate but being I carried them cocked and locked while at work and CC I had them disengage while carrying them ... totally unacceptable.

I also concur about pulling it off and adjusting the detent depth so it engages to your liking.

Hope this helps.

L. Lester

Yeah I posted this question on the SASS Wire and everybody says to put my thumb over the safety

No, not everyone over there said to do that!  I DID NOT recommend doing that!  I recommended cutting the dimple deeper or even putting a stronger spring in the tube.  give-me-a-break!

;D

Yeah I posted this question on the SASS Wire and everybody says to put my thumb over the safety

No, not everyone over there said to do that!  I DID NOT recommend doing that!  I recommended cutting the dimple deeper or even putting a stronger spring in the tube.  give-me-a-break!

;D

Sorry, you are correct but a majority did. I went to the range and tried shooting with my thumb on the safety and I didn't notice any more control than my regular grip. I did take your advice into consideration and that will be the route that I am going to go. I did notice that when I shot with my thumb on the safety, 3 of the 5 empties went straight behind me. Not sure why that happened but it aggravated me trying to locate them.