The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

New 1911 rule question

Download your copy of the 2024 rule book from:

https://sassnet.com/the-shooting/cowboy-action-shooting/handbooks-rules

From a quick scan, I see no mention of aluminum, light weight, alloy frames, and whether they are permitted or not and under what category they can participate. 

MY GUESS - alloy frames are not yet permitted.   If they were permitted for Modern, then they would probably be mentioned in the Traditional section as to whether they are also allowed in Traditional or not. 

Since there are no rules covering light alloy frames and if they are allowed for any category of guns (including the open category), I would guess they are (still) not legal. 

Now, if someone believes that the new rules allow light alloy frames, I'd suggest the rule book be modified in a very timely manner to call that out clearly, since this mandate is underlined and all caps on page 35 of the rule book:

ANY EXTERNAL MODIFICATION TO ANY FIREARM NOT SPECIFICALLY REFERENCED IN THIS HANDBOOK IS EXPRESSLY PROHIBITED

good luck, GJ

Edited by Garrison Joe
  • Thanks 1

dropped the minimum weight requirement

There never WAS a minimum weight requirement, AFAIK.  Only maximum weight limits.

As stated before, and repeated for emphasis, if the rules are changing to allow alloy frame guns, they need to say that clearly, and eliminate arguments.

GJ

Edited by Garrison Joe
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

In Feb 1 revision of the Wild Bunch rules, an aluminum frame that is full size (5" barrel, single-stack and standard grip size) is now allowed (in writing) in both the Modern and Traditional gun categories.   Maximum weights with an empty magazine inserted for Trad is still 40 ounces and for Modern, 42 ounces.

good luck, GJ

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...