The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

What 1911 magazines are legal

WBAS RO/MD Handbook Page 23

Pistol Magazines
• Standard length only.
• A pad may be added to the base of magazines so long as it conforms to the following requirements:
o It is made of natural leather material only.
o It is no larger than the contour of the base of the magazine.
o The total thickness of the base pad may not extend more than 1/4" beyond the original base plate.

Although Tripp magazines in the 7-round Government frame size are probably the most commonly used magazines anymore (because of their feeding reliability and strong construction), many magazines are legal and work well.   Some mags that are "standard length" (cannot extend below grip frame) will hold 8 rounds, but I've never seen a WB match where that extra round can be legally loaded and used.

Brands like

Chip McCormick

Colt

I can vouch for personally.   Sure others will add favorites they have used.

good luck, GJ

I have used Tripp magazines with no problems for the past few years. Last year I won a Tripp magazine as a door prize at a Texas match. I sent an email to Tripp magazine thanking them for the donation. Received a very nice personal reply from the owner.will be happy to do business with them in the future.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Flying W Ramrod said:

WBAS RO/MD Handbook Page 23

Pistol Magazines
• Standard length only.
• A pad may be added to the base of magazines so long as it conforms to the following requirements:
o It is made of natural leather material only.
o It is no larger than the contour of the base of the magazine.
o The total thickness of the base pad may not extend more than 1/4" beyond the original base plate.

Thank you

6 hours ago, Smokewagon Grampies said:

buy 7 or 8 round magazines. I would prefer 8 round mags

Main difference between one maker's 7 round or 8 round 1911 magazine is going to be a slightly weaker spring in the 8 rounder, thus allowing an extra round to be stuck in. 

I'll take the 7 rounder for best reliability of feeding, especially since you can't use the eighth round out of the magazine for our game.  And if you are using your game magazines for self defense, get additional real reliable magazines for the carry/house gun and keep your game magazines, which will get dropped, stepped on and filled with dirt every match, marked and stored separately.

good luck, GJ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Smokewagon Grampies said:

I can use the Ed Brown magazine trade In and buy 7 or 8 round magazines. I would prefer 8 round mags but I just want to make sure they are legal.

Thank

Smokewagon 

I use Ed Browns. Love them.
Kingsnake sells them and will engrave your alias on the edge so they can be returned to you. Although it took a year for me to get one back from a match, I did get it back 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 10/7/2023 at 6:26 PM, Boggus Deal said:

By far the best ones are Checkmate. Period. Checkmate makes Ed Brown magazines and most of Colt’s. Tripp’s magazines make you pay an extra 5 bucks to weld on the base plate to make them somewhat reliable. They’re also the most expensive, to begin with. 

Thanks, I have 10 Ed Brown magazines on the way.

Smokewagon Grampies 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...