The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

a list of 1911s

Crazy Mingo

Howdy Friends, ;D I hate to be a pain with dumb Questions. :-\.1st I plan on shooting Traditional.. I was planing on ordering a Rem R1 basic. :P. today I ran into a springfield 1911-A1 . Mil-spec..and did not know if would fit my needs. is there a list of 1911's that I can pick from. :-\.and just what is allowed to be done to the 1911. ;)

Thank you Crazy Mingo 8)

Crazy Mingo,

While there is no "list" of guns to choose from, there is a Shooter's Handbook with all the legal specifications for a Traditional legal gun and most everything that isn't legal.

If the Springfield 1911 A-1 is factory, it should be fine for traditional. If it has been modified, it may or may not be.

Mingo, I have both the Rem R1 and the SA Mil-Spec.  I used a magic marker to darken the white dots on the R1's sights.  The hammer spring on my Mil=Spec is the strongest I've ever seen, so strong that I had difficulty retracting the slide with the hammer down.  I changed out the hammer spring to a lighter spring, either 19 or 21, and removed the ILS while I was at it.  Required a standard GI hammer strut, main spring housing and internals.  Brownells had a kit at one time.  Inexpensive.  The trigger on the Mil-Spec is perhaps slightly smoother and lighter than that on the R1.  Go with either.

I've seen both used to good effect by Traditional shooters.  Both have more visible sights than a "GI" type 1911 (while still legal) and both are available in stainless (also legal) if you prefer a stainless gun.

I think the Springfield is a Series 70 while the Remington has a Series 80 type hammer block.  In case you prefer one over the other.

• 1 month later...