The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Front sight for traditional class?

Marshal5

I really enjoy the Wild Bunch shooting and I chose to shoot the traditional class. As my eyes (and the rest of my body) has aged seeing the front sight continues to be more of an issue each year.

I would like to see a rule change to allow a white or gold dot on the front sight. Would help many of the shooters and our sport is aging so maybe some will be able to participate longer. It may not be the way the guns were issued but we do allow other changes that were not issue.

just my thoughts and hopes for a constructive conversation.

be safe

1 hour ago, Marshal5 said:

but we do allow other changes that were not issue.

Not that I am aware of in Traditional.  That line of "same as issued" has been pretty clear since the beginning of SASS Wild Bunch.

A polished sight that reveals the silver of the natural metal give a pretty vivid sight picture.

good luck, GJ

Garrison Joe, with all respect we do allow some items in traditional class that are not on my original issue 1911 and they are done to assist the shooter experience. Granted they are limited but a leather pad on the magazine, a scooped grip for the mag release, beveled mag well and much better sights than the issue sights are all examples. 

If you want rules changes to be considered, of course, see a WB Rules Committee Member, and they may pass along a rule change request if they feel it's got a chance. 

But with those dotted sights already allowed in Modern, and wide spread use of age-based classes, things don't discriminate much against older Wild Bunchers, as I "see" it.   Nothing FIXES eye sight problems better than the best surgical techniques or good eye wear, though.  Been there myself (surgeries and glasses) and still enjoy the game as it is.

good luck, GJ

17 hours ago, Marshal5 said:

I really enjoy the Wild Bunch shooting and I chose to shoot the traditional class. As my eyes (and the rest of my body) has aged seeing the front sight continues to be more of an issue each year.

I would like to see a rule change to allow a white or gold dot on the front sight. Would help many of the shooters and our sport is aging so maybe some will be able to participate longer. It may not be the way the guns were issued but we do allow other changes that were not issue.

just my thoughts and hopes for a constructive conversation.

be safe

Marchal5,

Glad to see someone suggest this as I also believe this is an issue for some of "us" older folks.  Even though the SASS rules state, "as issued" I do not believe there were 65/70 year old soldiers using the 1911 at the time.   This is NOT a re-enactors sport, it is competition.   I think there is a very good chance that this will be brought up in the next Rules Committee meeting.  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...