The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

VZ palm swell grip?

Marshal5

I noted that the company VZ is selling a 1911 grip that has a slight palm swell.

the central portion of the checkered grip has what appears to be about an 1/8 inch swell. The grips are the same external outline as a standard 911 grip, no thumb rest etc.

I have not measured the grips but would say that I may have some grips that are as thick as the new VZ configuration but mine do not taper slightly near the top and bottom of the grip to offer the slight swell.

the new VZ grips look like they may work for a traditional shooter but don’t want to invest in a pair to try if they are illegal for WB.

As best as I can measure the grip on the ends is about 7 mm thick. The grip at the thickest point of the swell is about 9-10 mm thick.

did not have a better device to measure it along with me.

The configuration of the grip follows the same outline as other VZ grips that are accepted for WB shooting.

7D2AD589-4E8E-484C-BCF4-DA706830E134.jpeg

A9DF4E40-EBEC-424D-A97E-3C4F5A87F45A.jpeg

I'm curious what the rules committee will say about this.

I believe these grips meet the intent of the rules (basically, no thumb rests), but I don't think they meet the wording of the rules (straight taper allowed, others not specifically listed are not allowed). This is my opinion/interpretation.

brb... grabbing a cup of coffee 😅

Interesting -- thanks for posting JFN. As a (former?) traditional shooter, I consider the mag release cut extremely beneficial. I can see how the palm swell might provide enhanced grip, especially when both yer mitts are on it, but I wouldn't guess it would be more beneficial than the mag cut.

Looking at the left panel , to me it is the Super Scoop cutout that was ruled  illegal IF I remember right..  Have not seen the palm swellbut have several pairs od VZ grips on S&W revolver and many 1911    Have been telling VZ that they need to make their grips for Ruger single actions.        GW

3 hours ago, G W Wade said:

Looking at the left panel , to me it is the Super Scoop cutout that was ruled  illegal IF I remember right..  Have not seen the palm swellbut have several pairs od VZ grips on S&W revolver and many 1911    Have been telling VZ that they need to make their grips for Ruger single actions.        GW

Click on the link in my previous post and you can read Happy Jacks comment.

JFN

50 minutes ago, G W Wade said:

Having problems opening link.   Hoping I get info corrected      GW

Maybe this will help, I wrote:

"I understand wrap around grips, thumb rests, target style (finger grooves etc) and mag release cut. I thought I understood the statement, "but no material may extend beyond the original profile of the grip." Then this year a "clarification" was added, "Grips that are thinner at one end or the other but have a straight taper are allowed." What is being clarified? What does material extended beyond the grip profile have to do with a mag release cut? What are we looking for?"

Happy Jack replied:

"The statement about straight taper was added as there are now some grips being offered with a "palm swell" which was determined to not be allowed."

JFN

• 1 month later...
On 6/27/2022 at 4:54 AM, J. Frank Norfleet said:

Maybe this will help, I wrote:

"I understand wrap around grips, thumb rests, target style (finger grooves etc) and mag release cut. I thought I understood the statement, "but no material may extend beyond the original profile of the grip." Then this year a "clarification" was added, "Grips that are thinner at one end or the other but have a straight taper are allowed." What is being clarified? What does material extended beyond the grip profile have to do with a mag release cut? What are we looking for?"

Happy Jack replied:

"The statement about straight taper was added as there are now some grips being offered with a "palm swell" which was determined to not be allowed."

JFN

Tha's the Ambassador page. Are there any clarifications, rule changes, etc on that page that should be made public?

Heck, as an WBAS RO Instructor, I can't even see that page.

As far as the "super scoop" mag release cut out is concerned, is there a max cutout for the mag release cutout? If so, where is it listed?

Regards