Jump to content
The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Dropping hammer to show clear


Recommended Posts

Lately I've noticed, some shooters, at the end of the stage, are not pulling the trigger and allowing the hammer to drop unimpeded to show clear.

They're holding the hammer, pulling the trigger and lowering the hammer to rest.

This is not dropping the hammer as required in the SHB Pg 9 "HAMMER DOWN: While the pistol is pointed in a safe direction pull the trigger allowing the hammer to drop, unimpeded."

We need to keep an eye on this.

Regards

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Flying W Ramrod said:

Lately I've noticed, some shooters, at the end of the stage, are not pulling the trigger and allowing the hammer to drop unimpeded to show clear.

They're holding the hammer, pulling the trigger and lowering the hammer to rest.

This is not dropping the hammer as required in the SHB Pg 9 "HAMMER DOWN: While the pistol is pointed in a safe direction pull the trigger allowing the hammer to drop, unimpeded."

We need to keep an eye on this.

Regards

Have them go back to slide lock, and correctly go through the unloading procedure, or it's a SDQ. 

Tully

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Tully Mars said:

Have them go back to slide lock, and correctly go through the unloading procedure, or it's a SDQ. 

Tully

Yep, that's what I do, just thought I'd mention it to this venue for folks to notice.

It's happening more and more.

When asked, a shooter told me it's to decrease the wear and tear on the hammer sear.

Don't reckon that's a legitimate concern otherwise they wouldn't be shooting the gun.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Flying W Ramrod said:

Yep, that's what I do, just thought I'd mention it to this venue for folks to notice.

It's happening more and more.

When asked, a shooter told me it's to decrease the wear and tear on the hammer sear.

Don't reckon that's a legitimate concern otherwise they wouldn't be shooting the gun.

 

That is good! I always like to know that some of the competition isn't dry firing!

JFN

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Flying W Ramrod said:

When asked, a shooter told me it's to decrease the wear and tear on the hammer sear.

Shooter has confused the match-1911-gunsmith guidance to not free-drop slide on an empty chamber with "don't drop hammer".   Dropping slide when gun is empty has been found by gunsmiths to bounce the trigger and sear contact and even chip the sear or hammer ledge.   (Dropping slide on rounds from magazine allows some of the energy to be scrubbed off due to the round being stripped and chambered.)

But dropping the hammer by pulling trigger - THAT IS WHAT THE GUN IS DESIGNED TO HAVE DONE TO IT!

TOs do need to see that the rules are followed! 

good luck, GJ

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...