The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Dropping hammer to show clear

Lately I've noticed, some shooters, at the end of the stage, are not pulling the trigger and allowing the hammer to drop unimpeded to show clear.

They're holding the hammer, pulling the trigger and lowering the hammer to rest.

This is not dropping the hammer as required in the SHB Pg 9 "HAMMER DOWN: While the pistol is pointed in a safe direction pull the trigger allowing the hammer to drop, unimpeded."

We need to keep an eye on this.

Regards

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Flying W Ramrod said:

Lately I've noticed, some shooters, at the end of the stage, are not pulling the trigger and allowing the hammer to drop unimpeded to show clear.

They're holding the hammer, pulling the trigger and lowering the hammer to rest.

This is not dropping the hammer as required in the SHB Pg 9 "HAMMER DOWN: While the pistol is pointed in a safe direction pull the trigger allowing the hammer to drop, unimpeded."

We need to keep an eye on this.

Regards

Have them go back to slide lock, and correctly go through the unloading procedure, or it's a SDQ. 

Tully

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Tully Mars said:

Have them go back to slide lock, and correctly go through the unloading procedure, or it's a SDQ. 

Tully

Yep, that's what I do, just thought I'd mention it to this venue for folks to notice.

It's happening more and more.

When asked, a shooter told me it's to decrease the wear and tear on the hammer sear.

Don't reckon that's a legitimate concern otherwise they wouldn't be shooting the gun.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flying W Ramrod said:

Yep, that's what I do, just thought I'd mention it to this venue for folks to notice.

It's happening more and more.

When asked, a shooter told me it's to decrease the wear and tear on the hammer sear.

Don't reckon that's a legitimate concern otherwise they wouldn't be shooting the gun.

That is good! I always like to know that some of the competition isn't dry firing!

JFN

11 hours ago, Flying W Ramrod said:

Shooter has confused the match-1911-gunsmith guidance to not free-drop slide on an empty chamber with "don't drop hammer".   Dropping slide when gun is empty has been found by gunsmiths to bounce the trigger and sear contact and even chip the sear or hammer ledge.   (Dropping slide on rounds from magazine allows some of the energy to be scrubbed off due to the round being stripped and chambered.)

But dropping the hammer by pulling trigger - THAT IS WHAT THE GUN IS DESIGNED TO HAVE DONE TO IT!

TOs do need to see that the rules are followed! 

good luck, GJ

• Like 1