The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

EOT at the 2022 California State WB Championship

Tully Mars

The 2022 EOT match offered one stage, that allowed missed targets to be made up, rifle was optional.

At the 2022 California State Wild Bunch Championship, we had two stages that allowed for misses to be made up. Folks seemed to love it.

Here's Silvertip shooting stage 9, that would have allowed a shooter to make up misses on the DP at the end of the course of fire. There was a designated spotter that would call out the number of rounds needed to make up misses, once the round count for the stage was achieved.

The below photo was our second stage that allowed all targets to be engaged until hit or down. Rifle was optional.

Thanks,

Tully 

Stage %.jpg

Edited by Tully Mars

2 hours ago, Silvertip said:

It was probably the best Wild Bunch match I’ve been to, well at least since Tullys match last year, he knows what people want.

ST

It was great shooting and visiting with Red Marie and yourself and all of the other travelers! My only regret is not providing more competition for you, you were on fire! 

Tully

Over the past few months I have been to a quite a few Wild Bunch Matches that have been spread all over the Western US.

I have to say, Tully's 2022 CA State WB Match has been one of the most fun to shoot. Especially enjoyed the two stages that were "Shoot until all the targets are down".    Both of those stages are referenced above.

It was impressive to watch Silvertip, Frederick Jackson Turner, Gopher Broke (who shot at least one of the stages with pistol only) and Tully blaze away with their handguns. My comment to all four of these guys is, "Someday when I grow up and learn to shoot, I want to be able to shoot just like you guys." I am sure that there were others on the other posse that shot these two stages equally well. I just didn't get the chance be on the other posse to observe them.

Tully and Slo Mo Steph worked hard and produced a Wild Bunch Match that was enjoyable for everyone.

Way to go you two and all the others that helped produce the 2022 CA State Wild Bunch Match.

Already looking to next years 2023 CA State Wild Bunch Match wherever it is.

J. J.

• Thanks 1

As much as I appreciate the kind words, it's the shooters that make the match. Unfortunately I was distracted and missed some of the best parts of the shoot. Next time around I'll not be a posse leader, just the MD and a shooter, lesson learned.

Gold Country Wild Bunch's BoD, worked very hard to come up with unique stages, cook food, and keep folks happy. We have no idea if everyone went away happy, but those that have reached out seem pleased by the shoot! We'll take that as a WIN!

GCWB moved away from the rifle only stages of 2021, but that will return, as well more stages allowing make up shots. It's great to watch Silvertip, FJT, Molly Magoo and others burn down a stage without missing, but it was more rewarding watching a shooter turn a 29 second stage shot by one of the top shooters into a 180 second clean stage, and walk away with a great big grin!

It's taken me along time to realize how demoralizing 10-20 misses on a stage could be, yet how uplifting that same stage could be to a shooter if we can find away for them to shoot it clean! I've personally fought against moving in this direction, I've always felt that folks should learn their gun, now where it shoots, and not make excuse's for their misses. Well? Maybe I'm getting old or seeing the light? But the smiles of folks that shot those two stages clean, was well worth it! Many would have walked away with double digit misses had they not had the opportunity to correct it.

SASS or the ROC may have deferring views of what GCWB is doing, but the above responses say otherwise. The next state WB match I run, the goal will be.....I'll keep that a secret for now :)

Tully

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tully Mars said:

As much as I appreciate the kind words, it's the shooters that make the match. Unfortunately I was distracted and missed some of the best parts of the shoot. Next time around I'll not be a posse leader, just the MD and a shooter, lesson learned.

Gold Country Wild Bunch's BoD, worked very hard to come up with unique stages, cook food, and keep folks happy. We have no idea if everyone went away happy, but those that have reached out seem pleased by the shoot! We'll take that as a WIN!

GCWB moved away from the rifle only stages of 2021, but that will return, as well more stages allowing make up shots. It's great to watch Silvertip, FJT, Molly Magoo and others burn down a stage without missing, but it was more rewarding watching a shooter turn a 29 second stage shot by one of the top shooters into a 180 second clean stage, and walk away with a great big grin!

It's taken me along time to realize how demoralizing 10-20 misses on a stage could be, yet how uplifting that same stage could be to a shooter if we can find away for them to shoot it clean! I've personally fought against moving in this direction, I've always felt that folks should learn their gun, now where it shoots, and not make excuse's for their misses. Well? Maybe I'm getting old or seeing the light? But the smiles of folks that shot those two stages clean, was well worth it! Many would have walked away with double digit misses had they not had the opportunity to correct it.

SASS or the ROC may have deferring views of what GCWB is doing, but the above responses say otherwise. The next state WB match I run, the goal will be.....I'll keep that a secret for now 🙂

Tully

Like your approach to the misses thing. This years Territorial match was a miss festival. I had 26 and took fifth in Sr. Mod. A gal shooter, won't say her name, had 70 misses and took 5th is Ladies Senior.

I've talked to several, more than 8, who say they won't be shooting the Territorial again unless something changes. Last years match was as bad, and a long time shooter told me those type of matches, there, are the standard, which is probably why there were only 42 shooters for the Western Territorial Championship.

Hope you keep up on the "fewer misses, the better" aspect.

See you on the trail.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Flying W Ramrod said:

Like your approach to the misses thing. This years Territorial match was a miss festival. I had 26 and took fifth in Sr. Mod. A gal shooter, won't say her name, had 70 misses and took 5th is Ladies Senior.

I've talked to several, more than 8, who say they won't be shooting the Territorial again unless something changes. Last years match was as bad, and a long time shooter told me those type of matches, there, are the standard, which is probably why there were only 42 shooters for the Western Territorial Championship.

Hope you keep up on the "fewer misses, the better" aspect.

See you on the trail.

Most misses are on KD's, Dueling Trees and the like, it gives the newer or middle of the pack shooter more confidence if they hit the target, rather than walk away with a ton of misses. I've been to shoots where the miss count was extremely high, I've heard the grumblings and bitching, I'm just now starting to realize we're doing a disservice to many shooters. 

Wild Bunch wants to grow, our main source of growth is cowboy. I love cowboy, this is my 21st year of shooting cowboy, but it's changed from the days of far away, small targets. I miss the Chabot days, but folks that win those type of matches put the time in at the range and at home dry firing. Folks that win EOT or Winter Range matches put the time in as well, and will do great no matter the course of fire. BUT the forgotten ones, are more numerous, the ones that only show up for large matches or go to every monthly WB match, but can't practice in between shoots. These are the folks we need to grow and nurture, if that can be done without dumbing down Wild Bunch, I'm all for it. 

It hurts no one to allow misses on stages that might run a shooter 10-20 misses to be made up. Next time the stage time will be capped at the total of targets, times 5 seconds, shooters going over that total time will all get the set stage time. SDQ's will need to be considered, as it stands a SDQ would equal the same time, and that's not right.

Tully 

Edited by Tully Mars
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1