The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Les Baer. Woooow!!!!

Okay; I've been banging away at this sport for a decade now, with a collection of plain-Jane 1911s, which include a beat up Remington, a Springfield, and a Rock Island Armory.

Worked a couple of deals with AGW, and ended up with a Les Baer Premiere II. 

It is making me believe that I can actually shoot.  This pistol is freaking amazing.

But, I was having a bit of trouble with it igniting  CCI primers, so, before going at it in my ham-fisted fashion, with my collection of wood files, hammers and impact drivers, I thought I should call the factory first.

They were busy, and asked me to leave my number.  An hour later, in comes a call.  From Les Baer. Yeah.  Les freakin' Baer.  He wanted to make sure I was happy with his product, so he talked me through what I might do, and then we chatted for a few more minutes.  Great guy, terrific product, but...I am SO IMPRESSED that the guy with his name on the wrapper took the time to call me back.

Day-um.

Have a nice day.  I sure am.

Cheers,

FJT

;D that’s what Miss Treated and myself shoot along with several friends. I’ve talked with Les and he is a heck of a guy! If you have a problem he will fix it. It needs about 5-600 rounds thru it just to break in.  The one problem with a Les Baer? They shoot so damn good all the other brands stay in the vault!  ;D

One of the inside sayings in the industry for at least 30 years is:  If you want a beautiful pistol get an Ed Brown, if you want an accurate pistol get a Les Baer, if you want a pistol that always runs get a Bill Wilson. Obviously some new names like Nighthawk come along but those earlier statements still hold true. As mentioned a Baer needs a few hundred rounds to break in as they are built so tight. i've owned several of the 3 aforementioned over the years. The statements held true for mine.  ENJOY

AAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...................this sounds like a Wild Bunch Premium Sponsor.  ( I just made that up) 

What is a ballpark figure on these pistols?

Howdy, B-40; here's a link to his webpage.  The buy in isn't too fearsome, considering what other boutique makers are getting...

http://www.lesbaer.com/Duty.html

Cheers,

FJT

I have been lucky in I have two Les Baer and a Wilson 1911. They all are so well made real craftsmanship. I am so impressed with the guns made by Baer and believe that they are a great value for the high quality they turn out. I have heard from many that the company and Les himself are very customer minded.

I wish they would make a traditional style 1911 so I could use it in traditional class but there are so many companies making a version it would be a hard market to sell in.

Enjoy, and yes Baer would be a great sponsor.

FYI, I called the company and gun weight on the Premier II is 36 oz.  3 to 6 month wait time

Thanks, I was wondering the same thing. That means the Premier II heavyweight should be just under 39oz. With a 3oz mag (max), that should be just about perfect... It might be a little bit tight. The only downside is I'd have want to shoot it with two hands 8)

• 2 months later...
On 2/3/2022 at 2:49 PM, Back 40 said:

CN, I would hate to spend that much money and find out it didn't make weight limit,

Yea, but the MDQ would be for scoring purposes only, so I'd still get to shoot even if someone had their finger on the scale -- no big deal, right? Plus, I could always go to the truck and file on the frame a bit before the match, right Les? 🙊 I guess I'd be comfortable if it was within 0.5oz of the limit to allow for variances in scales.

All these recent threads about how great Rugers are out of the box have me looking at pistols again, and I keep coming back to this chrome beast from Les Baer.

@Frederick Jackson Turner -- I just listened to the 2/12 episode. Very cool conversation, but wouldn't the ATF prefer we don't attempt to create makeshift suppressors from pillows? Does the pillow need to be engraved after I submit a form 1? Naw, seriously great episode, and very cool conversation with Les.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, C.N. Double said:

@Frederick Jackson Turner -- I just listened to the 2/12 episode. Very cool conversation, but wouldn't the ATF prefer we don't attempt to create makeshift suppressors from pillows? Does the pillow need to be engraved after I submit a form 1? Naw, seriously great episode, and very cool conversation with Les.

Glad you liked the show - Les is a very cool, down-to-earth guy, and he turns out a great product.  And, do not use pillows for any purpose other than lawful ones!

Cheers,

FJT