The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Suggestion to remove unused definition from WB Shooters Handbook

Garrison Joe

Here's a simple suggestion to remove from the WB Shooter's Handbook a definition that is not used, and is defined in a very circular manner (meaning it refers to other rules in a vague manner).    The next time there is some rules editing being done would be soon enough.

Committed to a firearm – the point at which a firearm would have to be made safe to leave the shooter’s hand.

Nowhere in the Shooters Handbook is the phrase "committed to a firearm" actually used.  (Maybe it was in an early version; I don't remember.)  The phrase "committed to the stage" is well defined and used several times in the rules.  So, can we please take out the unused definition "committed to a firearm,"  before it gets confused with the "committed to the stage" wording?

Having that definition in there seems to imply there is some reason to be watching for when the shooter has committed to use a firearm.  This is just confusing and unneeded.

Thanks, GJ

Joe, that definition is an artifact from past use when describing the time at which a shooter could no longer go back and "fix" a MSV. We strive as much as possible to keep the definitions aligned between CAS and WBAS. It helps decrease confusion and incorrect calls. Even though it isn't currently used, and I understand your point, I'm not sure it is a bad thing to keep it, but there MIGHT be a problem occur if we delete it. Will give it some thought. One of the problems with the effort to keep definitions aligned between CAS and WBAS is that some of their definitions that we have chosen to use are not quite what we would like. For example: firing line, course of fire, and engaged, are defined a bit differently than I would like, but I can accept them. With the overlap between shooters in both sports, having different definitions of common things leads to confusion and possible "lawyering" on the firing line. Things we are trying to avoid.