The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

6.5X55 swedish reloading

My best loads for 6.5 Swede for BAMM rifle use the Lyman 266673 mold from which I drop a 16 Brinell hardness bullet at 150 grain weight.  Then I water quench to about 27 Brinell hardness, lube with Xlox or Carnuba Red lubes. Most importantly, shoot for a muzzle velocity close to 1600 FPS.  The Swede barrels have a VERY fast twist rate and don't shoot any cast bullet accurately MOST of the time at velocities higher than that.  (Which is not the sweet spot for most other military surplus rifles.  '03 Springfields tend to like 1800-1900 FPS in my experience)  So, a real good load I use is 17 grains of Reloder 7 - shoots under 1.5" at 100 yards.  But if you have some old (no longer made) IMR 4759, about 16.5 grains will usually shoot even tighter.

Also, the Night Owl Enterprises 270-163 mold is another winner.  I've gotten some loads using it's water-quenched bullets grouping 0.75" at 100 (iron sights).  Again, right at about 1600 FPS.

As for brass - a lot of mine is Lapua.  Seems like I was getting most of that from Graf's on-line, but that was WELL before our current panic situation.  It is VERY well made and makes accurate loads.  For just "shooting" ammo, I was able to get a few hundred Privi Partisan FMJ rounds and fire to obtain "pretty good" brass.  Hornady also has made runs of nice 6.5 Swede brass in the past.  Today, Brass is where you find it, and since I haven't tried to find it for several years, my suggestions may be "dry holes" now.

good luck, GJ

Thanks Joe.Just starting on this.looking for all this.Not going to be easy finding all the componets.

Largo

Well, your rifle is probably a Swiss K31 straight pull bolt rifle then.  Should look like the attached picture.    7.5×55mm Swiss is that gun's cartridge.

It takes an odd size lead or jacketed bullet - nominally .306".  A cast bullet sized to .307 or .308 usually works fine.  Without too much worry, normal 30 caliber jacketed bullets will work safely.  It's generally a VERY accurate piece, and uncommonly well taken care of.  And was never dropped. 

Hard to get brass for it.  And the stripper clips for rapid reloading are fragile, expensive and unique to that gun.  Privi Partisan is making new ammo for it, and sometimes you can find Hornady rounds too.

Swiss_K31_action.jpg.6cae73d1a0e9d5947b98a3ea53b59e47.jpg

Been trying to research it.It looks to be more like the K11 ..Detachable magazine.Maybe found some brass on GB

Gonna have some 6.5X55 brass to get rid of. The SN# falls in the K11 range.

Largo