The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

VihtaVuori N320 Powder with 230gr Coated bullet

WildOkDee

I use 4.2 gr. VV N320 with 230 gr. Desperado Bullets, Federal magnum primers and have never had a problem with making power factor.

Don't remember velocities  but make 165-172 PF in my gun.

Marshal Stone

Marshal Stone, are you using a hard crimp on that or just mild?  I use precision bullets with a polylube hybrid coating.  He suggests a starting crimp that measures .468 to .469 at the top of the brass...which was belled to accept the .4515 dia bullet.  Thanks for any additional info!  OkDee

I think you will have good luck with the taper crimp at 0.470"    The .45 auto does not need as much crimp depth as most revolver loads anyway, so Precision's recommendation is probably a little tight for auto.  We are not running high-recoil loads (to cause bullet pull), and if your gun feeds well without jamming nose of bullet into ramp or barrel hood (no bullet collapse), you should be good.

You can always do the "loaded round push test" to see if crimp is snug.  Take a round you loaded, hold in hand, push nose into a hard wooden object (like a garage door frame).  If bullet does not push into case further, and bullet does not rotate within case either when twisted by hand, crimp is good.

Good luck, GJ

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...