The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

First effort at BAMM loading

I have four rifles suitable for BAMM competition. I just tried my hand at loading for these matches. I've been reading all the threads on the WB Wire and elsewhere and was a little discouraged at the reports of bullets going sideways, twelve foot groups, trying twenty different loads etc. I had also tried some borrowed non gas-checked loads with less than stellar results.

For my Remington Model of 1917 in .30-06, I used the .310"170gr Hy Tek gas-checked bullets sold by Norm Purcella. I used the "universal load" of 16gr of 2400. I had some used Federal commercial brass that I trimmed and chamfered. My dies were Lee and I used the Lee expander die that is not highly regarded in the posts I've read. I also used a lowly Lee turret press that I keep around for low volume loading. I do intend to get the Lyman M die ultimately but I was trying to get my feet wet.

My first (and only) three shot group at fifty yards was 7/8" about 1 1/2" high with the sight set at 600 yards. I had shot a BAMM match at Sparta and had tried some borrowed ammo, so I had learned about the sight setting. The light was failing and it was starting to rain so I didn't have time to fire any more groups or move to the 100 yard range. I had an improvised rest (ammo box) and was having trouble seeing so I'm sure the rifle will do better. Needless to say, I was delighted and excited!

I have Norm's bullets for my Swedish Mauser, my Spanish 8mm Mauser and my No. 4, Mk2 Enfield and am looking forward to trying those as well.

BD, sounds like success! Glad to hear you’ve started getting the bolt guns up and running! Are any of the clubs up in your area having BAMM? We have a BAMM every month after our WB match. Shot Oklahoma state WB match recently and they had a doughboy,bamm combat and bamm sniper featuring a moving target......how cool is that?  Dusty B

I have four rifles suitable for BAMM competition. I just tried my hand at loading for these matches. I've been reading all the threads on the WB Wire and elsewhere and was a little discouraged at the reports of bullets going sideways, twelve foot groups, trying twenty different loads etc. I had also tried some borrowed non gas-checked loads with less than stellar results.

For my Remington Model of 1917 in .30-06, I used the .310"170gr Hy Tek gas-checked bullets sold by Norm Purcella. I used the "universal load" of 16gr of 2400. I had some used Federal commercial brass that I trimmed and chamfered. My dies were Lee and I used the Lee expander die that is not highly regarded in the posts I've read. I also used a lowly Lee turret press that I keep around for low volume loading. I do intend to get the Lyman M die ultimately but I was trying to get my feet wet.

My first (and only) three shot group at fifty yards was 7/8" about 1 1/2" high with the sight set at 600 yards. I had shot a BAMM match at Sparta and had tried some borrowed ammo, so I had learned about the sight setting. The light was failing and it was starting to rain so I didn't have time to fire any more groups or move to the 100 yard range. I had an improvised rest (ammo box) and was having trouble seeing so I'm sure the rifle will do better. Needless to say, I was delighted and excited!

I have Norm's bullets for my Swedish Mauser, my Spanish 8mm Mauser and my No. 4, Mk2 Enfield and am looking forward to trying those as well.

Congratulations BD, you are underway at full steam.

For the Swedish Mauser and Purcella’s 160 gr GCTC bullet, I had best accuracy with 13.5 gr Alliant 2400.  That’s a hot powder, and I take extra care by measuring powder weight of every charge, and insuring that I haven’t double charged a case.

For the 30-06 best accuracy was 32.0 or 32.5 gr IMR 4064 with Purcella’s 170 gr SilGC bullet.  It’s a bit fast at about 1700 fps, but it’s deadly!