The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

1911 for WB and 3gun?

Juiceharp Jen

I have the opportunity today at a local gun show to purchase one of the (new in box) Colt reissues of the 1911 for $1,400 USD.  I'm guessing this one would be legal for WB.  I've never shot WB or 3gun, but I'd like to get a 1911 that would be suitable for both.  The Colt reissue has the old mil spec sights on it, and I'm told that those sights will be less than optimal for 3gun.  Are the mil spec sights required for WB?  Could I use a more modern 1911 in WB, with better sights?  Is there a good option for having just one 1911 or do I really need to get a different one for each type of competition?  Thanks.

I shoot Traditional class and  use a "COLT 1911 STAINLESS 100 YEARS SERVICE 1911-2011 EDITION",  Per the handbook I use "Harrison Design 003" rear sights and had the front sight replaced with a dovetail sight "Front sights may be dovetailed, pinned, or staked.".  IMO much better sight and target visibility.

I shoot 3 Gun and unless you are shooting in a HEAVY class the 45 ACP is a disadvantage.  I am having a 2011 built in 9mm, increases the magazine capacity and reduces recoil.  Much more competitive for that game.

Modern class is a different story.

Suggest finding a Wild Bunch and 3 Gun local match in your area and contacting the the POC.  Tell him or her your interested and ask if you can come try it out. At our clubs we fall all over each other trying to help the new person. 

As you will find in the rule book, the old small "military" sights are not required for either of the two major styles of shooting in Wild Bunch.  They can be used, but they are very hard to find quickly.  Even in the Traditional category, it is legal to go to a taller front sight with more definition, and a matching taller rear sight (as long as they are not screw-adjustable blade rear sights).  Modern category guns can have adjustable rear sights - please see the specs in the rule book.

You first should decide for Wild Bunch whether you want to shoot in Modern (two hands holding pistol) or Traditional (one hand on gun) style.  This decides a lot of what the gun can be.  Realize that one-handed means you need to be pretty capable of quickly managing and recovering from the recoil of almost-factory 45 auto levels, and of working the controls almost exclusively with your strong hand (that is, the slide stop and mag release button).  Most shooters are not all that capable of handling that recoil and quickly working the controls.  It takes a medium size hand and a firm grip.

There's four times as many folks competing in the Modern style of categories than in the Traditional.  And they generally shoot faster in Modern. 

A couple of visits to Wild Bunch matches will help you fix your category/style.  And introduce you to the common 1911 guns used in your desired category.

Then you can make a great choice of 1911s.

Good luck, GJ

I agree with Joe LaFives. I've shot IPSC/USPSA and IDPA for many years (40+ IPSC and a charter founding member of IDPA) and host modern 3gun matches at my range regularly. You need different pistols for different disciplines. With your budget A Glock ( I personally hate them but they function great) for 3gun/USPSA/IDPA and an inexpensive 1911 for Wild Bunch.

JJ find these matches in your area an watch, ask questions. You will find valuable info. Some will allow you test drive their equipment.

Unless you have a hang up with name brands go cheaper.

I own a Gold Cup Series 70 National Match which is legal in both, but don't. I brought a 400.00 Philippine made 1911 45 acp. It filled WB shoots 99.9% of all my needs. And if I chose it exspend more practice it would be perfect fit. But I upgraded to a Ruger 1911 with adjustable sights for about 650.00. And it runs.

Shotgun SXS, 97, Win 12 oh the choices. Lever Gun 1873, Marlin 44/40, 45 Colt. Where will it stop!

3 gun the Ruger will fit 100%. Quicker recovery would be a 9mm. You are not required to shoot SA's centerfires, wheel guns are fine.  I started 3 gun with rimfire SA handgun an 10/22 stock rifle, 12ga pump at placed nicely.

Then WB riggs, outfit, etc, etc,

Now that I bent your ears go to to some shoots, more the better, more ideas the better.

Then think reloading!  :)

I have the opportunity today at a local gun show to purchase one of the (new in box) Colt reissues of the 1911 for $1,400 USD.

To answer what started this off, you say that a gunshow would have something and "would it work?"  Well, local or on-line gun dealers, or other shooters, usually have much better matches to your needs at lower prices.

One of the new-manufacture Series 70 Colt 1911A1s run about $1000 to $1100 new, and would be a better gun for WB traditional.  And the Remington R1 at about $600 or so would be even more cost effective.  A more modern gun would be a good choice for Modern category.  (Duh)

So, like so many gun show "finds"  - that one you have seen is neither a good choice for either of the games you are talking about, nor all that good a deal.  That one was built to be a collector item mostly, for those interested in the 1911 original model.  Even though it (a 1911 model) is representative of the TIME that Wild Bunch covers, remember, we are not a RE-ENACTOR org, we are largely a shooting org, and the value the gun has to be shot quickly and accurately is real important in the long run of things.  And the 1911A1 design was a major improvement over the original 1911 in "fast and accurate and controllable by most shooters."

Good luck, GJ

Thanks, all.

According to a local there are three local groups that host WB and they all have open class where I might be able to use my XDS 45. 

Meanwhile, my boyfriend seems to have his heart set on a Sig 1911 Match Elite in .40 cal, while 45 ACP is required for WB and a double stack 9mm is best for 3gun.  I'm not sure where he would compete with what he wants to buy.

I don't really have a budget, per se.  I'm a patent attorney so I have plenty of income at the moment.  The message I seem to be getting is that I need 2 different 1911s for WB and 3gun, and plenty of time to figure it out.  I held and sighted every brand of 1911 I could find at the gun show, and I liked the Ruger the best.  So maybe I will eventually get one of those.  I'm not sure about the double stack 9mm though.  Who makes those besides Glock?  I always feel like I'm holding a brick when I try one of those.

Juiceharp, If you are serious about a 1911 in 9mm for 3 gun you may as well get what I and most of the top competitors shoot:  An STI Edge or one of their really top end open class models.  I shoot an Edge and it is an absolutely amazing pistol.  I've been a 1911 guy for over 50 years and have owned/built/sold/collected the same all that time. The Edge is my favorite.

The primary advantage of the striker fired polymer guns that are so prevalent these days is simplicity.  No de-cocker, no thumb safety just point and shoot which is why police depts replaced their revolvers with these types.  Lots to choose from.  I like the M&Ps and have a couple,  I've owned Glocks - solid but felt like bricks.  I'd look at Walter PPQ's as they are great ergonomic guns,  The Springfield XDM's are good but the bore axis is a bit high.  Thing to do is visit and handle as many of the 9mm's in the category and see what feels right and points the most naturally in YOUR hand.  Some brands have some customization capability by swapping out the back-strap with smaller or larger pieces.