The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Left Hand [shooter] 1911 Mag Release Compliance

Long time stalker, first time poster.

My wife is a southpaw and would love to have a 1911 with a mag release on the right hand side so she can operate it with her left thumb as opposed to operating a normal 1911 magazine release with her pointer finger on her left (dominant) hand.  After reading the shooter's hand book regarding modern category modifications, it doesn't appear that a mag release modification to the right side (like this product https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/mpa-mitchell-right-side-mag-release/)  is permissible.  Can anyone confirm whether a 1911 could be legally modified to accommodate a lefty, or if she is stuck with the standard mag release on the left hand side?

I've tried to convince her to just shoot like the good Lord and JM Browning intended, but she's not swayed.

Thanks!

• Like 1

I am a left handed shooter and one of the things I LOVE about the 1911 design is that mag release is on the left side.  As for your question: Changing the mag release to the right side has Always been ILLEGAL.  With the new management who knows what the future may being.

• Like 2

SHB 17.4, Pages 12 and 13.

No mention of what side the mag release must be on.

Extended mag release is allowed in Modern, not allowed in Traditional.

WBRO Manual lists the same requirements for Mag Releases in three locations, Slides 17, 18, and 24. None say you can't change the mag release to the right side.

Wild Bunch Range Operations and Match Directors Guide Pages 23 and 25 refer to checking the mag release for extended and oversize. Nothing about side of pistol.

The SHB 16.3 from 2022 says the same.

I'm thinking that, at some point in history, the location of the mag release was removed and no one noticed.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Flying W Ramrod said:

I'm thinking that, at some point in history, the location of the mag release was removed and no one noticed.

It wasn’t removed because as Happy Jack said, it’s never been legal. 

• Like 2

Howdy,

I'm a left hand shooter and shoot traditional for WB. I use my trigger finger on the release, but I understand she may not want to do that.

In all other Semi Auto pistols I shoot, I double hand the firearm and use my right index finger or left trigger finger to hit the release. 

Just something to maybe give a try.

Also, your club should have a WB TG picked out if they are shooting WB, ( if not, they need to and need to contact Ruby Ruthless at SASS to add them) so be sure to mention it to them. In the very near future, the new WB ROC and TG's will begin the conversations on rules and the future expansion of WB.

Good luck,

CC

Thanks for the replies.  My interpretation of the rule book was that anything not explicitly permitted as a modification is strictly prohibited, rendering a swap of the mag release from the left side to the right not a viable/legal option. 

Who knows, maybe in the future additional modifications will be permitted.  Maybe not enough wrong-handed shooters complained yet to warrant it's consideration or amendment to the handbook.

• Like 1

I shoot left handed, I wouldn't want to swap mag release sides even if it were legal.  I use my middle finger to drop the mag and have my index finger outside the trigger guard hovering above the slide release while changing mags.  mag in finger down on slide release then back on trigger, fast.  Practice practice practice. 

• Like 4