The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

Accurate # 9 powder in 30/06

Blackfoot

Never run across it in stores.  Maybe I don't look closely enough.  It is not commonly recommended for cast bullet rifle loads, though.  So, to answer directly, no.

For a 1400-1500 FPS 30-06 cast bullet load, I like Reloder 7, or IMR 4227, or Accurate 5744.  Those are 10 to 20 "powder burn rate positions" slower than Accurate 9.  And bullets ranging from 165 grains to 200 grains are pretty well behaved.  But you HAVE to test in your own gun.  Each barrel is usually somewhat picky.

good luck, GJ

Thanks Joe,  All of those powders that you mentioned are really scarce here now.  I have been using 2400 which works very well.  The 2400 is one position off from #9 on the burn chart and I was thinking of trying some of it.  I didn't mention that I am using gas checked 209 grain bullets with the 2400 and it works really well, just hard to find.  will keep checking the shelves.

Blackfoot

Well, Lyman Cast Bullet shows Accurate #9 was tested in .30-40 Krag cast bullet loads.  If that was all I had, I'd probably try about 16 grains in your 30-06, with that 209 grain bullet.  That's a starting level load with 173 grain bullet in .30-40, and shows roughly 1600 FPS or so in that cartridge.  Should be quite safe in -06, and probably even a little weaker than you want, but you can work upwards, even down some, I'm sure.

good luck, GJ