The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

45 acp hollow base bullets

Jack Spade

I would think the load for that hollow base bullet would be the same as other 230 grain cast bullets.  It's not like you are going to run high performance loads for Wild Bunch.  Try a few with your "standard" load - like 4.1 grains WST.  Place the top of the driving band (aka, the bottom of the nose ogive) right at or 0.010" above the mouth of the case.  Check velocity against a chronograph in case the hollow base drops the chamber pressure a little.

good luck, GJ

Seeing the catalog cut now, the thing I would be most aware of is that the bullet has no lubrication grooves.  Perhaps it is a poly-coated bullet, but if not, it would seem to be one that could cause lots of leading in the barrel.  Indeed, reading their bullet design page, they seem to have a polymer coating with moly disulfide included in the coating. 

Nose length in their loaded sample looks a little longer than some loads. Make sure your load fits in your magazines and will not jam the bullet nose into the barrel lands when chambered.

You may have real good success with this bullet, even if it a little unusual.

good luck, GJ

Well, what I actually have a crap ton of, 5k, are 200 grain RNFP hollow base .452 bullets.  They are on the left in the pic.  The one in the middle are 230 grain RN, and the one on the right is the one I normally shoot, 230grain RN coated from cimarron.  Both the 230 grain bullets are .680 inches long, the 200 is .560.  The left and middle bullet are moly coated. 

crop45bullet.thumb.jpg.9ca0d9603a53ddac3cbdc6f7e9c59f1b.jpg

A 200 grain bullet will work in the 1911 just fine.  Takes a little stiffer powder charge - 4.6 or 4.7 WST for example.  I shoot 200 grain truncated cone bullets in both 1911 and my rifle.  You won't have any problems with the shorter bullet length.  Several pards strongly believe the lighter bullet produces more felt recoil than the 230 grain bullet at the same power factor.  I can (and do) shoot either interchangeably, and save 30 grains of lead per shot. Up to you - shoot them or melt them down or sell them off.    Make yourself satisfied that you have made a good choice for your situation.

Next time, maybe you want to weigh a strange bullet before you make many plans about shooting it?

good luck, GJ

Do they weight 200gn? Are they 0.452" or larger diameter?

A hollowbase like that means you have to keep the velocity down. You go much about 850fps, and you will often get a 9-10 hole group from 5 shots or you'll stick a skirt and ring the barrel with your next shot.

Start low and stay low. You are aiming for very accurate loads at the 700-775fps range, so use a fast powder.

3.5-3.8gn N310

3.2-3.8gn Clays

3.1-4.0gn Bullseye

3.2-4.2gn AA2

3.5-4.2gn 700X

3.9-4.9gn 231/HP38

or such...

200 grains at 700 FPS won't get you even close to a Wild Bunch legal power factor.  Just 140 PF.

Conventionally, best accuracy and clean loads with 200 grain lead bullets comes with the loads I already recommended.  In my well-used 1911, 4.7 grains of WST gives a 200 grain bullet 168 power factor (840 FPS) as measured at about 5 EOTs and 4 WR matches in the recent past.

Targeting lower than a 160 power factor is a BIG risk at Wild Bunch events.  Leave a little room for a chrono that doesn't read accurately or a cold day or a handful of loads that got a low end powder drop, and don't get real close to the 150 PF limit.

good luck, GJ