The SASS Wild Bunch Forum

30-30 reloading question for Teddy Roosevelt

Doc Holloman

I'm looking at picking up a Savage 99 in .30-30.  Since it is apparently  legal for Teddy Roosevelt, I've been considering appropriate loads for that match.  Here is my question.  I have a supply of 150gr .30 cast spire point bullets.  Since he Model 99 does not have a tubular magazine, is there any reason I shouldn't load them in  .30-30?  I realize I would have to keep them separate from the ammo for my 1894.  Or should I wait and find a Model 99 in .308.

Well, since it looks like I will be writing the Wild Bunch stages for our club, I would like to open up the option to as many different gun options as possible.  I could write them as 5 rounds( most folks don't need a reload) or 10 rounds ( everyone has to reload).  I'm  leaning toward the former, since there has been concern over ammo expenditure in Wild Bunch lately.  I have a 94 (30-30), a  95 (30-40) and am looking to get a 99  ( 30-30 or 308) so it's not a matter of of writing them to favor my gun.  If I use my 95 I'd still have to do a reload on the clock.

Assuming of course our club is still shooting WB.

You will find that 7 rds for WB will equate to 5 rounds for TR and DB.  We will usually only run one DB reload per match with 10 for WB and 7 for TR.  The stage description will have the round count and shooting requirement listed for each category.  If possible we set up targets farther out for TR and DB.  If interested I can send some examples.  Only thing holding you back is your imagination.  Have fun!